Home theatre - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 22nd February 2014, 02:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home theatre

I am looking to build a (dedicated) home theatre in a 16'x19' room with 8' ceilings. This room has a 13' opening at the rear into a slightly larger multipurpose room. I am going to use theatre curtains to separate the rooms.

For speakers I am looking to use the 10.3 paper. I like the mar-ken boxes, are they designed for the 10.3 yet? I found a cnc wood working shop that has reasonable rates. So all I will have to do is glue them together.

For speaker wire I am looking at diy cat5 cables.

I am planning on a 7.2 system. For the receiver I am looking at the Yamaha Aventage.

For subs I am looking at the Rythmik servo CI 15" sealed. I am hoping they will not always be needed.

I am looking to use a acoustically transparent screen with a projector. It will be at least a year until it is built so I haven't picked one out yet. That technology seems to change rapidly.

Last edited by maxximus; 22nd February 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Seems like a great way to go!
Old 24th February 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

IMO you need to look at the 10.3P's maximum spl and check that it'll be high enough for HT use.
Provided you cross them high enough, the limiting factor will be the driver's power handling capacity.
If you cross them lower, then excursion could become the bottleneck.
Take these into consideration before you commit.
Good Luck!
Old 24th February 2014, 11:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a great project. I use a pair of A7.3s in my semi-dedicated home theater with great results.

As Hajj pointed out, you will need to pay special attention to crossover frequencies. I find that for music, my A7s are fine with a 100hz crossover point. For movies, I push it up to 150 - 200 hz. With a pair of good quality subs, higher crossover points may not be such an issue if the subs are positioned correctly.

That being said, the A10's can provide substantially more output than the a7s, and this may be less of an issue.

Good luck
Old 24th February 2014, 01:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Should sound excellent. I am not real familiar with the Yamaha. The key is to make sure it has adjustable crossover points for each speaker output or at least has some means to limit the low frequency output. I'm using CHR70.3 x 9 in my home theater and they work really well. My onkyo allows me to set the crossover for each speaker: 100hz to 120hz for 7 of them and the center about 80 hz. Subs are set at 120. My room is similar in size and configuration with slightly higher ceilings.
You are planning a very cool setup. Enjoy.
AK
Old 24th February 2014, 03:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As you have selected should work pretty darn good and of course should you get over enthusiastic on the volume knob it's nice to know the "arrestor" is designed into the 10p to prevent killing one. You might explore more of what Rythmik has to offer as I understand that you can run up to 3 of the 16 ohm drivers off of one of the servo amps which would open up some nice possibilities for multi sub placements. Add to that the fact that the 10p's work well in multiple cabinet configurations, bass reflex, MLTL, Pencils, FHXL, and all I can say is - I wish I was having as much fun as you're going to!
Old 24th February 2014, 03:29 PM   #7
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
As you have selected should work pretty darn good and of course should you get over enthusiastic on the volume knob it's nice to know the "arrestor" is designed into the 10p to prevent killing one.
The arrestor only takes care of the excursion.
A driver crossed high can still be killed by too much power, but this death is silent since the arrestor will never kick in and the user will thus never hear the distortion. Only a puff of smoke and then silence....
Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I would re think the cat 5 cable.
It is good for ethernet but not real good for speakers.
It is a very thin wire designed for 100ohm.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Actually braided cat5 pulling the white wire to one polarity and the colored wires to the other can work fantastic, especially if doubling, tripling, and quadrupaling. I am using just this way in one system and it works beautifully. And I also have several other speaker cable options on hand including some at $1200 for an 8ft pair. Read up on cat5 diy cables and hear for yourself.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:59 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

myhrrhleine:
Dozens of us have been happily using CAT5 cable for well over a decade in a wide range of single and multi-way speakers with no ill effects. I do myself, but don't get evangelical about wire type - there are far more pressing concerns in designing an audio system - particularly when trying to digest the wealth of helpful advice on the subject to be harvested on fora such as these.

hajj
I doubt very much that the death of an A10P (or almost any driver) overdriven by musical signal would be completely "silent" - even if accidentally served an unheathly amount of DC from an shorted out power supply rail of a direct coupled SS amp there'd be an initial (perhaps very loud) thump, followed of course by a pretty little orange glow as the voice coil turns into a small electric heater.

how exactly do I know that?

Hide this!Advertise here!