35 mm port tube for GR CHR-70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 25th January 2014, 12:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 35 mm port tube for GR CHR-70

Anyone aware of source for 35 mm port tube in US? Looking to make a Golden Ratio CHR-70 for my workshop. I just need the drivers and suitable material for ports. Could I get away with 1.5" pvc? Thanks.
Old 25th January 2014, 09:20 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

or you could convert to rectangular port / slot or even corner mounted triangle of equal area? (962mm^2 in this case)

I'm a big fan of slot ports, as seen in many of the boxes on commercial website listed in signature line - with a high enough aspect ratio, the slot can run full width (with dividing spacer if needed) , and all you need is a flat panel shelf
Old 25th January 2014, 09:51 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/Changing-Port-Size.pdf

dave
Old 25th January 2014, 10:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
Looking to make a Golden Ratio CHR-70 for my workshop.
If that's the older box (2011 7.5L?), it doesn't look all that hot with the Gen.3 driver. I would just scale it up to 10L, and tune it to ~50Hz. Port would be 1.5" ID x 4.25" long.

jeff
Old 25th January 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 35-mm port tube designed and made by Mark

Hi Guys,
I make a 35-mm (and a 25-mm) modular port tube system for Japan. It comes in self-sealing snap-fit sections, thus making pretty much any length needed. You can see it here:

?????-?????????????

I did offer this system to USA but Madisound said there's so many cheapo ports available, they weren't sure a more up-market looking system like mine would sell. Maybe we're wrong???

Cheers
Mark.
Old 25th January 2014, 11:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Dave

Thanks for the info! Nice sheet.

Mark
If Madison stocked, I would order those ports with the drivers. The smallest they have is 2" (51 mm). I thought it was funny they had the plans, but not the ports available to build. If use Dave's formula and calculate correctly (miss my college HP RPN calculator) with a 2", I would need a length of 163 mm - longer than the depth of the Golden Ratio enclosure. Would not work so I would have to go elsewhere - sale lost!

For my workshop speakers, some scrap MDF and scrap PVC OK. In the house for wife acceptance factor, you want something nicer.

I would revisit selling with Madison and tell them one of their customers had to drive to Home Depot 20 miles each way because they did not stock. I could not find anyone stocking the 25 and 35 mm diameters you have.
Old 25th January 2014, 11:44 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Personally i prefer PVC plumbing pipe to dedicated ports, but then it is not often i use them preferring the resistive effects of a slot vent.

Have you seen the Classic Golden Ratio CHR-Ken 70?

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...Ken-301113.pdf

dave
Old 25th January 2014, 11:45 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
I could not find anyone stocking the 25 and 35 mm diameters you have.
Largely because the US is officially Imperial and the rest of the world is metric.

dave
Old 25th January 2014, 11:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
If that's the older box (2011 7.5L?), it doesn't look all that hot with the Gen.3 driver. I would just scale it up to 10L, and tune it to ~50Hz. Port would be 1.5" ID x 4.25" long.

jeff
I was looking at the CHR 70 Chamagne(?) plans on the MarkAudio website, Golden ratio bass reflex box design. That would not work well with Gen3?

I am open for suggestions/recommendations for my workshop. 14 ft wide x 11 ft deep. Bookshelf speakers - near field. I have nice scrap 18 mm baltic birch plywood I am looking to use up. The 4 largest pieces (330mm x 432mm) I could use for fronts and backs - these plans would utilize the wood I have on hand.

I am complete newb when it comes to speakers - fairly new with DIY Audio. Builit a Pass F-5, ACA, Pearl 2, DAC.

Thanks for the information.
Old 25th January 2014, 11:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Largely because the US is officially Imperial and the rest of the world is metric.

dave
Maybe - but I cannot find equivalent imperial 1" and 1 1/4" anywhere. Seems to be more the smaller size.

Hide this!Advertise here!