Twin Alpair 7's studio monitor build. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 17th January 2014, 05:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Twin Alpair 7's studio monitor build.

I've just put these together and thought I would share some pics and initial impressions.

I'm delighted the imaging and soundstage is exceptional, as is the detail. I am hearing things that escaped my ear with my 10.3 pensils, it's almost as if I can hear the instruments as well as the sound they make. If that makes any sense at all. With about 100h on these drivers I am expecting even more delights, as I was blessed with as my 10's continue to improve.

Heart felt thanks to the mighty Moose for the design and support, your a star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twin-DCR-A7.jpg (73.6 KB, 531 views)
Old 17th January 2014, 05:25 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Lorien,

Good to see that you've completed the build, and the results are sweet! I however am not too surprised as a Dr. Moose design featuring Mark Fenlon's Alpair 7.3 is not likely to disappoint. Enjoy!

Keep us posted on the progress as you rack up more hours on the drivers. Btw once the drivers have ~200 hours, it might be worth running the bottom driver as a 0.5 driver and see if there is a noticeable difference.

- Zia

Last edited by zman01; 17th January 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 17th January 2014, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will do that. Is there a tried and tested line level crossover design to impliment this?

Will also try to get some more pics up, it's tough from mobile devices sometimes.

God darn these are lovely, maybe too delicious for studio monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
I've just put these together and thought I would share some pics and initial impressions.

I'm delighted the imaging and soundstage is exceptional, as is the detail. I am hearing things that escaped my ear with my 10.3 pensils, it's almost as if I can hear the instruments as well as the sound they make. If that makes any sense at all. With about 100h on these drivers I am expecting even more delights, as I was blessed with as my 10's continue to improve.

Heart felt thanks to the mighty Moose for the design and support, your a star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (384.7 KB, 516 views)
Old 17th January 2014, 05:44 PM   #4
mor2bz is offline mor2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

dear mr black

I am interested in how two drivers can be used in close proximity to ea. other
in order to use the comb filtering to diminish a high peak.

any comments, anyone? thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 05:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

My understanding of comb filtering is limited to basic concept, though in this design Scott thought it unlikely to be a problem, especially if seated > 1m from the drivers.

I will leave a fuller answer to those with brains better conditioned to tackle it
Old 27th February 2014, 10:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Update - monitors are running with cap across lower driver, 70uf, improved overal coherence and imaging.

Had their debut in London studio today! unanimous consensus - ultimate winner against Genelec, ATC and the dynaudio. Still some burning in time and tweeking to do, but an amazing result.

Hats off to Mark and Scott.
Old 27th February 2014, 10:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Lorien-

Can you guesstimate efficiency? I've been drooling over MA drivers for a while for use with a SET but I fear the wife's wrath if I try to stick a 10/12 Pensil in the living room. The slim 7 Pensils would probably be welcome, but I worry about lacking volume with only 5W on tap. Twin 7's seem like the proverbial porridge with the slim looks of but higher efficiency than singles.

Beautiful build, by the way!
Old 27th February 2014, 11:16 PM   #8
nirvana is offline nirvana  Canada
diyAudio Member

twin Alpair 10p .....is this possible ?
Old 27th February 2014, 11:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Actually, twin 10ps was suggested in this thread for use with a pre-pack enclosure:

What driver for 30 liters?
Old 28th February 2014, 01:02 AM   #10
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks very nice and good to hear that it did well in listening tests against real monitors in the studio. A studio monitor's main call to duty is having a flat linear response. Do you have any measurements yet? Putting a cap across the lower driver to turn it into a 1.5 way is kind of an underutilization of a nice full range driver as you have turned it into a woofer that is probably crossed below 500 Hz? Curious how deep the bass extension goes with the dual chamber reflex.

Hide this!Advertise here!