New Woofs for 2014 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th January 2014, 07:27 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I ask for a large woofer simply because I would like to see what Mark could do in this area. I believe him to be extremely talented and love his products and just think it would be cool to hear a large lightweight cone woofer with good extension made by his skilled hands. I would imagine that it is more likely to be in the 8" range based on his current product lineup.
Old 17th January 2014, 01:12 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
But what I don't understand, is why you consider that a 6-8" driver can't also dig low enough to extend the speakers range.
The A10's can produce somewhere around 110dB at 30w from 200Hz and up. It seems only logical that one would want the 2-way speaker to produce 110dB at say 30Hz. I suppose you could stack enough 6"ers together to do that. I guess the question is how low you want to go and how loud.

Bob
Old 17th January 2014, 01:46 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Add my vote for a woofer designed for FAST setups. Can't say I know what exactly that would entail. But it would be awesome to have something that would match the efficiency of the A10 and/or A7 when crossed at the baffle step and not leave anyone wanting for a subwoofer.
Old 17th January 2014, 03:51 AM   #24
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

i don't understand how what most of what you guys are suggesting could be in tandem to prosound products.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:36 AM   #25
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

1 - 12" frame, 2 - Paper, 3 - 2.5" to 3" coil with good cooling
4 - F3 points 30 & 1.5K , 5 - diecast, 6 Fs 30, Qts - whatever it takes to get 30Hz with good output (Bob's 2pi 110dB @30Hz), Xmax ~8mm linear
Old 17th January 2014, 11:41 AM   #26
4mc2 is offline 4mc2  Canada
diyAudio Member

15"
50 watts
20 hz to 100 or 150 hz
Qts ..... 0.5 TO 0.8 .......... for open baffle or infinity baffle
low mass with some rib for more rigid
long coil .... x2 wide of plate ( magnetic field )

But , if you like to be original .......... with two motor , in push/pull ( one in front of cone )

Last edited by 4mc2; 17th January 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:52 AM   #27
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mc2 View Post
15"
50 watts
20 hz to 100 or 150 hz
Qts ..... 0.5 TO 0.8 .......... for open baff or infinity baff
low mass with some rib for more rigid
long coil .... x2 wide of plate ( magnetic field )

But , if you like to be original .......... with two motor , in push/pull ( one in front of cone )
There's a woofer that already fits your bill quite nicely and for your specific application.
Check out the Hawthorne audio Augie 15 inch

P.S: if this seems out of place here, please do not hesitate to delete the post
Old 17th January 2014, 12:38 PM   #28
jamesdb is offline jamesdb  United States
diyAudio Member

I would like to see a woofer with three main objectives.
1- First and foremost meant for very low power SET tube amps 2Watts to 5Watts, so sensitivity 99dB/1W/1M with 8ohm impedance, and a flat impedance graph
2- Considered fast enough to be a good match for AMT style tweeters like ESS HEIL AMT, Beyma TPL-150H, Mundorf AMT29, Arum Cantus AST25120, Dayton Audio AMTs
3- Suitable for two way speaker designs
12" paper cone, foam surround, 2"-2.5" voice coil, low Le less than .7mH, Low Qts less than .4, Fs 28Hz to 3.5KHz
Old 17th January 2014, 12:49 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I would argue that if you could come up with something close to the above, it might outsell your FR product line. I know there is a very large demand for it in certain circles.
Old 17th January 2014, 03:55 PM   #30
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Chrisby wrote
Quote:
I've used multiples of the EL166 (as has Colin in England) - and would certainly be pleased to have a choice like that available again. If with upscale cosmetics and extended performance at higher cost - well, dare I now say it? - the EL166 was perhaps under priced?
I'm certainly with Chris on this as Mark is fully aware. I have now ran out of my stock of W#6 / EL166 drivers that I use in my Edingdale speakers. As below.

Click the image to open in full size.

Yesterday I took a new commission order from a guy in South England and sadly this will be the very last pair of Edingdales I shall build. I say here's to a MkII version the Woofer #6 (EL166), even if it costs twice the price the original. The original 6" mid woofer far outperformed it retail price. I have to admit I (and Scott) have stuggled to find a suitable replacement and have high hopes for a MKII. I like the moulded in rings to the coated paper driver if these could be retained? It gives a visual edge to the competition and all I would ask is keep everything the same but improved stiffer chassis/frame and a better mounting. May I even suggest a cast metal frame? However development and manufacture costs of a cast metal frame may put a damper on this small request.

I also like the idea of a 10" or 12" dedicated woofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!