CHR-70 G2 went down - CHP-70 G2 as replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have a pair of Gen 2 CHR-70 gold drivers in my desktop speakers. Well one has apparently died, loud, totally distorted sound. Hadn't been abused, no signs of damage. Just one of those things I guess.

A quick eBay search didn't reveal any of the CHR-70 gen 2 for sale. Madisound currently only has the CHP paper drivers available.

How would the CHP-70 Gen 2 paper drivers work in these boxes? 9.5 Liter net. Downfiring BR Port 1.5" x 4" (38mm x 100mm)?

The online calculator I used for the original design is recommending a 3.14" (8cm) port. The boxes are sealed up tight so I don't have a good way of shortening the port.

Should I go ahead and order the drivers?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll order them

I wanted to hear the differences between the metal and paper drivers anyway.

About the tuning, the longer port makes them tuned to low?? What about stuffing the port with large bubble straws, to make for a more constricted/more aperiodic port? Would that take them in the wrong direction?

I have a pair of Gen 2 CHR-70 gold drivers in my desktop speakers. Well one has apparently died, loud, totally distorted sound. Hadn't been abused, no signs of damage. Just one of those things I guess.

A quick eBay search didn't reveal any of the CHR-70 gen 2 for sale. Madisound currently only has the CHP paper drivers available.

How would the CHP-70 Gen 2 paper drivers work in these boxes? 9.5 Liter net. Downfiring BR Port 1.5" x 4" (38mm x 100mm)?

The online calculator I used for the original design is recommending a 3.14" (8cm) port. The boxes are sealed up tight so I don't have a good way of shortening the port.

Should I go ahead and order the drivers?

Hi Tom,
I recommend you replace your CHR G2's with the G3-A's. These drivers have the built-in Arrestor over-load protection device, so better suited to heavier load situations (within reason as the CHR is a small driver). The very latest units have also have up-graded connector sets - see pics.

Happy new year!
Mark.

Attachments

• CHR70A-champ-front.sml.jpg
    CHR70A-champ-front.sml.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 239
  • CHR70A-champ-rear-conn-sml.jpg
    CHR70A-champ-rear-conn-sml.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 235
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well it wasn't the driver. And not the amp either! I don't know what the problem was - a bad connection?

Anyway the CHP-70's arrived. I pulled the CHR desoldered the connection, soldered on push on connectors and installed the new driver. Still breaking up! Put it aside for a few days and today tested the amps (OK), the CHP-70 (still breaking up), took out the CHP and put the old CHR back in. Everything is fine! So the speakers with the original drivers are back on my desk. WTF?!?

So invent a new project or return the CHP's to Madisound. (Probably the best course - I don't need THREE sets of uninstalled drivers in the basement.)

Just wanted you to know Mark - not a problem with the CHR-70.2. And I got music again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.