Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th December 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is my Alpair 10.3 damaged?

Hi All,

Just finished glueing my small MLTL enclosures for the 10.3! While breaking them in (about 20 hrs now) noticed a crackling in the "right" driver. When I lightly press on the dust cap, there is a small crackle. The other driver is smooth as silk. Is one driver damaged or out of spec?

Thanks,
Old 10th December 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealanlee View Post
Is one driver damaged or out of spec?
It sounds like the driver is defective. It should be covered by waranty.

One has to be very careful pressing the cone, it is easy to push sideways, but if it is noisy with music then it has a problem.

dave
Old 10th December 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Dave. I hesitated to physically touch the driver but the sound was disconcerting so I wanted to see if both drivers were the same. The physical build of the unit looks fantastic though.

Mike
Old 11th December 2013, 06:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've found this is precisely the sound made when the frame is deforming, usually from uneven tightening of the bolts holding the driver to the baffle.
Similarly if you have rebated the drivers with out enough clearance or you've used real wood and it has shifted torquing the frame then the same occurs.
Another way I've had this happen is if the rear driver brace (if you have one) isn't square giving the same effect as over tightening.

Try alternately backing off on the bolts while listening to see if you can quash it that way.
Old 11th December 2013, 03:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips. I took the driver out and laid it on the table. The frame is dead straight. There seems to be enough clearance. Inspected the cutout. Seems ok. Crackle still there..
Old 13th December 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Swap the drivers between the two enclosures. If the cracking follows the driver, there's a problem with the driver. If the problem stays with the enclosure, then the enclosure is the problem.
Old 13th December 2013, 05:29 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have you contacted the seller re warranty replacement? I believe Mark is pretty good about standing behind his product's vendors.

edit; I believe what nattonrice was referring to was unbalanced / over torquing of mounting screws - have you tested the driver in question out of the box?

Last edited by chrisb; 13th December 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 13th December 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

See post 5. Out of the box still noisy.

dave
Old 13th December 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Swap the drivers between the two enclosures. If the cracking follows the driver, there's a problem with the driver. If the problem stays with the enclosure, then the enclosure is the problem.
Hi Mikalanlee,
As per Silver's advice, swop the drivers over. Use the same power source and feed. You need to make sure the source, amp and cabling aren't causing the problem.

Should the problem remain on this particular driver, please return it to the dealer who supplied this unit. Provided the driver is in good condition with no physical damage, it can be replaced.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 13th December 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark and all

I will swap the drivers and make double sure it is not the enclosure amp or cables. Thanks for the tips and recommendations. I would prefer to not send it back so I hope its a problem with my setup. No problems with any other drivers the 12p and 7.3 that I have. They all sound good.

Cheers
Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!