My simple CHR-70a Desktop Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th December 2013, 06:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My simple CHR-70a Desktop Speakers

Just a quick picture of my new desktop speakers. I just installed the drivers this evening and gave them a first listen. Even with only a few hours of break in, I can tell I will really enjoy these. I'll probably keep them at home over the weekend, and get a little time under their belt, before I take them to work.

The boxes are just a smidge larger than the suggested box, and tuned just a bit deeper/flatter. I'm not super happy with the finish on my boxes. I originally intended to do stain/poly on the 3/4" ply The stain was blotchy, so I hit them with green Hammerite. The paint looks great with the alimunum cones, but I should have spent a little more time filling/sanding.

All of my source material at work is either streaming, or from an iPod. I thought hard about getting the paper cone, but that aluminum just looks so dang cool. I might need to build a little SE EL84 amp to go with them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

dave
Old 6th December 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nice build Chad. Before you get the tube amp, you can try out the inexpensive TPA3116D boards - folks seem to be pretty happy with them.

alpair 10.2 amplifier suitability

There's a separate discussion on the Class D section too.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Those look nice! What is the round-over size you used?
Old 6th December 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Nice build Chad. Before you get the tube amp, you can try out the inexpensive TPA3116D boards - folks seem to be pretty happy with them.

alpair 10.2 amplifier suitability

There's a separate discussion on the Class D section too.
I've never had a big interest in peicing togther a T/D amp from a board. It just seems like there's a lot of reasonably priced finished amps out there. Right now I'm using an older Dayton DT-1, which sounds fine for my purpose - it's just junky looking.

I'm probably over ambitious talking about building a tube amp for work. I already have a couple DH-SET amps at home that need maintainance, and I haven't had a chance to get them back on-line. Tubes at work would certainly be cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealanlee View Post
Those look nice! What is the round-over size you used?
I used a 1/2" roundover. Actually, I posted a slightly fuzzy picture on purpose. My roundovers + sanding on the end grain of the plywood turned out less than perfect. If I had planned on painting them from the start, I would have built these with MDF, so I could get a better surface before painting.

The new speakers are at home, getting the FM radio break in - probably not much better than white noise. At least my dogs have something to listen to today.
Old 7th December 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

MDF can provide a very nice surface for painting on unbroken faces, but once you machine the edges with radius, chamfers or any other profile ( ogee, etc) , it can easily take as much prep with numerous coats of fill, heavy solid primer, and lots of sanding to achieve paint readiness (particularly with glossier finishes) as does plywood.
Old 8th December 2013, 07:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
MDF can provide a very nice surface for painting on unbroken faces, but once you machine the edges with radius, chamfers or any other profile ( ogee, etc) , it can easily take as much prep with numerous coats of fill, heavy solid primer, and lots of sanding to achieve paint readiness (particularly with glossier finishes) as does plywood.
Being that these will be 18-inches in front of me for 40 hours/week, I'll probably wish I made the effort. Every time I look away from my monitor, I'll see every imperfection. Of course my desk is such a mess, they'll probably be covered with mounds of paper in a week.

One of the days, I want to do an automotive urethane color & clear coat on a speaker. I've done a little DIY bodywork and painting, so I know it is a lot of effort to get the surface perfect prior to painting. I just haven't had the gumption yet to try it on a speaker.
Old 11th December 2013, 04:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just a quick update - I've had these at work all week, I'm probably only about 50-hours into break-in, but the speakers are starting to smooth out nicely and sound really good. The slot port seems to couple well with the top of my desk, and with just a little bass boost, the bass is very tonal and surpisingly punchy at low volume (4/10 on the knob - how many dB, I don't know).

When I first hooked them up, I had to toe them out to tame the treble, as Mark suggests. After just a few days, I have them square and the balance is nice.

I had a number of co-worker that thought I bought them, and several asked what they were made of - so I was probably was overly self conscience about the finish.

I doubt I could have found a more suitable driver - and know I'll get many years of enjoyment from these.

Last edited by Chad1376; 11th December 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 13th December 2013, 09:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1376 View Post
Just a quick update - I've had these at work all week, I'm probably only about 50-hours into break-in, but the speakers are starting to smooth out nicely and sound really good. The slot port seems to couple well with the top of my desk, and with just a little bass boost, the bass is very tonal and surpisingly punchy at low volume (4/10 on the knob - how many dB, I don't know).

When I first hooked them up, I had to toe them out to tame the treble, as Mark suggests. After just a few days, I have them square and the balance is nice.

I had a number of co-worker that thought I bought them, and several asked what they were made of - so I was probably was overly self conscience about the finish.

I doubt I could have found a more suitable driver - and know I'll get many years of enjoyment from these.
Hello Chad,
Many thanks for using Markaudio drivers and for your feedback.

You've well illustrated my design efforts over recent years to extend usable output from a single cone full-ranger. On-off axis adjustment to control the high range is an easy set-up on Markaudio CHR and Alpair drivers; And these drivers deploy "long throw" power-trains offering bass load extension.

Enjoy your system.

Cheers
Mark
Old 15th December 2013, 04:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hello Chad,
Many thanks for using Markaudio drivers and for your feedback.

You've well illustrated my design efforts over recent years to extend usable output from a single cone full-ranger. On-off axis adjustment to control the high range is an easy set-up on Markaudio CHR and Alpair drivers; And these drivers deploy "long throw" power-trains offering bass load extension.

Enjoy your system.

Cheers
Mark
Cool. You know, having the owner/designer taking an interest in the end result of even a little project like mine makes me like these even more.

Hide this!Advertise here!