Any designs for twinned/duel 7.3's? Help appreciated. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th November 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any designs for twinned/duel 7.3's? Help appreciated.

Before I built my pensils 10.3, I was gearing up to build a 2xtwin 7,3's.

I had located a set of drawings, I think from planet 10, though not sure. Plans have been lost with an iPad update. And now a friend has asked me to build him a set of studio monitors based around two pairs of 7.3s.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas for such a venture?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by lorienblack; 5th November 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 5th November 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any reason you would want to use 2 x 7's instead of say a single 10 or 12? Running the 7's in parallel will present a 4 ohm load for the amp. In theory it should enable them to play louder but again I'd question the reason as to why you'd want to do this.
Old 5th November 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Put the drivers in series and connect a cap in parallel to one driver, so only one will emit treble. That's valid when they're on the same plane - there are other projects where one driver is located on top
Old 5th November 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

oh, they'd probably work just fine in a stretched version of something like the Castle Microtower - actually that's been on my "what if" list for several years

but if you're looking for a more conventional configuration, I'd echo smallangryboy's question - why not something like a single A10.3.M or P?

for "studio" monitor would the end user be looking for something with a heavier duty cycle than even a pair of 7.3s could comfortably tolerate?
Old 6th November 2013, 07:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I know that a single 10.3 would be a safe bet. My buddy has ploughed the net and has concluded the 7.3 is the more refined "audiophile" driver. I have not heard them so can't comment.

Plus, I have a selfish interest in hearing them and building something different. Although I might choose a dipole tower Setup, I have plans for something like that.

So if there was anyone who saw the twin 7 monitor set up, or has another idea similar.

I will make them, post pics and give you my feedback on them, compared to my 10.3m's at least.

Maybe convince Chris to move from "what if" to "let's do it"
Old 6th November 2013, 07:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I already gave my contribution : two drivers in series side by side, one cap across one driver. Is 16 Ω too high ?
Old 6th November 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

For a dual driver tower you can take a look at this:

Alpair 7.3 HT

For studio monitors, there was a twin driver monitor speaker design for the old Alpair 7 done by Scott Lindgren; however for the new Alp 7.3, probably that would need modifications.

P10 Mar-Kens are pretty neutral sounding - maybe Dave can provide you plans for a 2 driver version of the Mar-Ken 7.3? The cabinet might be on the tall side - I am guessing > 20" in height?
Old 6th November 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks zman01 - those are the beauties I want to build for myself. If I can convince my friend to go for those, and buy double the parts, I'll knock up two sets and keep one as payment, fingers crossed

I also like the look of the castle speakers, but I think for aesthetics the ones from the post win.

Picowallspeaker - the 7.3's nominal ohmage is in the 5/6ohm region. Pass states that the F5 will drive 2ohm "without burping" so there is some room for experimentation there. Plus - popping in the occasional quality resistor, in order to give the amp something to push would hardly be acoustic suicide would it?

Thanks for your thoughts guys - I'll post some pics if/when production starts.

Hide this!Advertise here!