CHR 70 Contraption - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 25th October 2013, 05:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CHR 70 Contraption

I am not quite sure how you would label this 'thing' I am making. So contraption will do for now. I have a few options available before I finish the CHRontraption and I don't know what is the right choice. So I thought I might put in a bit of a back story in how I got to where I am now with some photos that I have taken during the build. There are quite a few lessons learnt through this process and I figure someone else might benefit from my mistakes.

In exchange for the story perhaps I could get some advice from the experts that frequent this forum?

The questions will come later, after I have earned some brownie-points...
Old 25th October 2013, 06:54 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

julestnz,

Where's the contraption? Some pics please along with your story...
Old 25th October 2013, 04:00 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

go on ...

as for learning from others' mistakes - that can certainly work both ways
Old 25th October 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will link all the relevant pages...

So here is all the MDF cut and ready to go. 18mm MDF. The contraption is going to be 30cm tall so I cut it all from one long piece of MDF 30cm wide.
Click the image to open in full size.

I am useless at cutting the wood exactly and as usual it was not very square. More about that later.

And then a wonderful package arrived. Ordered from MOD-Loudspeakers - Shop in NZ . Thanks guys.

Don't they look wonderful...

The contraption also includes an amp (left) and power supply (right).

These came from HiFimeDIY Store . I have used them a few times and I like the quality and service.

The amp is this: Hifimediy T4 mcap. More than enough grunt if needed, but the contraption is not really about volume, more quality.
Old 25th October 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Chrisb - yeah I have loads to learn still. Only my second speaker build and perhaps a little ambitious. Never mind, its been fun.
Old 25th October 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The CHRontraption is to be based on Andreas' (Andy17) Shoe Box. MarkAudio provides the links to the design. CHR 70 Metal | Markaudio

However my interpretation aims to join the two speakers together with a space in the middle for the amp and power supply. More photos to come.
Old 26th October 2013, 01:42 AM   #7
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julestnz View Post
<snipped>

However my interpretation aims to join the two speakers together with a space in the middle for the amp and power supply. More photos to come.
Why join them together? Seems to introduce severe built-in limitations of options for relative positioning. But what is the application scenario?
Old 26th October 2013, 01:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Gootee - yeah. I tend to agree. And it seems rather a waste of some very nice drivers and a not-too-shabby amp.
But I just wanted to set myself the challenge of making a 'portable' sound system. It is to be taken on the road, holidays etc..

As it is coming together I am realising it almost seems to weigh more than one of my children. But it is fun and an interesting challenge. I will share in the story later a moment when i really questioned what I was doing. It remains to be seen how long a life the CHRontraption will have. But it is yet to be born.
Old 26th October 2013, 04:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So the build. I tried to think it all through logically but it sometimes felt like one step forward and two steps back.

Anyway - it started like this...

And then..

I used some tiny 2cm square pieces of pine top and bottom between the main walls of the speakers. Firstly it helped in the separation but also I want the back wall of this thing to be able to come off. I have some brass screws and some steel bolts that just i just pushed into the pine. They allow for a tight fit and allow me to take the back off when I need to. The idea of the amp shut behind the back wall makes me uncomfortable.

I can also play around with whatever damping I get around to using in the speakers. So the bolt, and then a brass screw to demonstrate how it looks.

Old 26th October 2013, 04:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I suppose there is a better way or even a better sequence to this build? Advice or opinions appreciated....

So the next bit was cutting the holes in the front wall for the CHRs. As I said above this is my second speaker build and I am much improved. I don't know how many pieces of MDF i wasted on those first speakers. LOL. I won't bore you with all the different ways I tried and failed. Anyway I ended up getting a Jasper Circle Jig and it has made it a lot easier. Jasper - Router Accessories, Circle Guides, Router Base Plates, Houston, TX Butterfly Template

And some pictures of my beloved Jig and Router and the holes:

Last edited by julestnz; 26th October 2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: fix mistakes

Hide this!Advertise here!