alpair 10.2 amplifier suitability - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st October 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default alpair 10.2 amplifier suitability

i tried alpair 10.2 in M10A10 boxes with 25W T-amp (can expect 6-7W of clean power) and high power NAD amp (60W). despite of NAD power amp being more powerful with better damping factor, i enjoyed t-amp more! T-amp was crispy with balanced lows and highs, while with NAD, bass sounded overpowering mids and highs.
anybody had similar experience?
Old 21st October 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
McDark is offline McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
T-amps are great, but I think UCD is even better. Guess NAD you tried is basic one, while resolution and bass control on "proper" Class-D amps are excellent. I've heard some mid-line NADs on my previous speakers (XT25TG tweeters) and they clearly lack resoulution in comparison with UCD. Currently I'm quite happy with Alpair 7.3 Pensils powered with UCD180.
Old 21st October 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 10.2 is renowned for its bass, and particularly so in Brine's M10A10 - so it may not be so much a matter of the NAD being "fat"

If you like the speed and transparency of the T-amp it couldn't hurt to try a 12-15W tube amp - EL84P/P pentode for example. Of course if you think you could survive on lower volume levels, a 2A3 or EL34/6CA7 SE could be very enlightening
Old 21st October 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
McDark is offline McDark  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to McDark
I agree UCD looks like overkill but of course it's chosen not for it's power. But for solid state amps with harsh clipping some extra power is required to keep speakers from damage, especially such delicate ones.

Anyway I think one day I'll try tubes too just of curiosity at least.
Old 21st October 2013, 05:54 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yuri - as George Anderson might say "there ain't no such thing as (power) overkill" - but then he's probably half deaf by now from playing loud his -self

I haven't heard a UCD / Ncore amp, so maybe I've just not had my world rocked properly yet (of course that'd only be until the next big thing comes along - hopefully my ears will still work well enough by then )
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDark View Post
T-amps are great, but I think UCD is even better. Guess NAD you tried is basic one, while resolution and bass control on "proper" Class-D amps are excellent. I've heard some mid-line NADs on my previous speakers (XT25TG tweeters) and they clearly lack resoulution in comparison with UCD. Currently I'm quite happy with Alpair 7.3 Pensils powered with UCD180.
if the secret is class D then i came across higher power (2 x 50W @ 8ohm) T-amps as one below,
SMSL SA 80 80W 2 Tripath TA2022 Top HiFi Big Power Digital Amplifier | eBay
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The 10.2 is renowned for its bass, and particularly so in Brine's M10A10 - so it may not be so much a matter of the NAD being "fat"

If you like the speed and transparency of the T-amp it couldn't hurt to try a 12-15W tube amp - EL84P/P pentode for example. Of course if you think you could survive on lower volume levels, a 2A3 or EL34/6CA7 SE could be very enlightening
i think a tube pre with classD amp would be simpler and cost effective alternate to having an all tube high power amp. also in this combo, no need to 'survive on lower volume levels'
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
i think a tube pre with classD amp would be simpler and cost effective alternate to having an all tube high power amp. also in this combo, no need to 'survive on lower volume levels'
I would recommend a TPA-based amplifier over the Tripath. These are *very* good sounding amps. The TBI Millenia is a TPA amp and There are different versions available if you search ebay. I would advise against the TA2022, I've read it is the least impressive of the Tripath.

Last edited by wushuliu; 22nd October 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I would recommend a TPA-based amplifier over the Tripath. These are *very* good sounding amps. The TBI Millenia is a TPA amp and There are different versions available if you search ebay. I would advise against the TA2022, I've read it is the least impressive of the Tripath.
the discussion seems to change to 'TPA vs T-amp'
anybody else vote for TPA over T-amp!?
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
the discussion seems to change to 'TPA vs T-amp'
anybody else vote for TPA over T-amp!?
Just a suggestion, not a contest. I've heard TPA, Tripath, IR2092, tube, solid state. Is it the best amp ever? No, but it IS audiophile quality. If you want to get an idea of the TPA sound quality amongst other audiophiles , including some full range owners, you can read about the TBI Millenia here which uses the TPA3100D2. The ebay options won't be as well made as the TBI but they also cost 1/10th the price.

If you want to stick with Tripath then get an Hifimediy.com amp - the designers are from diyaudio and the build quality is very high.

Or build a tube amp. Regardless, enjoy whatever amp you choose.

Last edited by wushuliu; 22nd October 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!