My favorite Alpair's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th September 2013, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My favorite Alpair's

I don't know! Pretty much what I have running at the moment.

I've been running A10P's in the 2-channel lately. Wonderful smooth sound. I have a pair of A10M.3's. They seem a bit bright to me, but they really don't have enough time on the them to make a judgment.

I've been using A7.3's over a Peerless 850146 sub in the HT. For no reason, I swapped them out for A12(P)'s. Turned the sub off. What a lovely sound! Not deep enough for action movies, but for normal TV and music, I don't miss the sub.

While I was building, swapping and generally messing around, I had Fostex FF165WK's in the 2-channel over Goldwood GW1858 H-Frames. No comparison to the A12P's, but they had a sound I was drawn to.

OK. I'm convinced. I like the sound of paper. I can see A10P's in the HT and in the 2-channel. (The A12P MLTL's don't pass WAF ). I am working on -- really this time -- a FAST rig for the 2-channel. A10P's in BR's over Dayton RS315HF-4's. I do like my 32' organ stops. Drivers on hand and panels cut!

Bob
Old 20th September 2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

good to know, but is it really surprising? i know a lot of people that swear only by paper cones drivers.
how about the tangband? do you prefer A12p or the tangband.
the next fullrange ill try is the supravox bicone and the jbl le8t
Old 20th September 2013, 01:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I recommend the W8-1772's and the A12P's for different audiences. The TB is more robust and in-your-face. I recommend it for those you have to have SPL, and are inclined to a mix of heavy rock and 21'st century compressed-to-white-noise pop music. It still has the single-driver mids, but is coarser than than A12P. Where purity of the solo line and intricacies of the inner parts are important, the A12P stands head and shoulders above the W8-1772.

Bob
Old 20th September 2013, 02:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bob, what enclosure have you been running the 10p's in for 2-channel service? Sans-sub, how is it working out?
Old 20th September 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacose View Post
Bob, what enclosure have you been running the 10p's in for 2-channel service? Sans-sub, how is it working out?
The A10P's are in my M10-A10 MLTL's. On the left is the M12-A12 (A12P's) and the right the M10-A10 in naked Russian birch. It has since acquired a walnut finish like it's big brother.

They work fine without a sub. Into the high 30's with room lift. I do apply just a tough of bass boost. I like a warm bottom end.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naked M10-A10.jpg (578.3 KB, 819 views)
Old 20th September 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I recommend the W8-1772's and the A12P's for different audiences. The TB is more robust and in-your-face. I recommend it for those you have to have SPL, and are inclined to a mix of heavy rock and 21'st century compressed-to-white-noise pop music. It still has the single-driver mids, but is coarser than than A12P. Where purity of the solo line and intricacies of the inner parts are important, the A12P stands head and shoulders above the W8-1772.

Bob

That's about the best description of the sound that I heard in a pair of these recently - someone else's system - a prototype passive 3 with Mundorf AMT and JBL 12" pro woofer in folded & lightly damped TL. Certainly very dramatic and big / forward , but for my taste lacking the subtlety and refinement in the mid band area of the 12P or 10P.

and who doesn't like a warm bottom, or at least fondly cherish the memories thereof?
Old 20th September 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Looks great. I've been wondering whether the 10p's would drop into that enclosure.

I've been researching high-efficiency speakers because I'm currently building a SET. The 10p/12p has been high up on the list so I've drooled over your enclosures (and the Pensils) a couple of times now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 20th September 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacose View Post
I've been wondering whether the 10p's would drop into that enclosure.
Not into the "old" 10.2 enclosure, if that's what you mean. There are unique boxes now for the 10.3 and 10p.

Pensils for Alpair 10.3 & Alpair 10p

jeff
Old 20th September 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Vinylkid-

I think Bob is using the 10p in his M10-A10 enclosure though? Wasn't that originally for the 10.2?
Old 20th September 2013, 06:36 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 10Ps also work quite nicely in the FHXL, albeit at the premium of deeper footprint

Hide this!Advertise here!