Pensil and superpensil for A12.2 P - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th September 2013, 03:34 PM   #1
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Pensil and superpensil for A12.2 P

I have paid for a pair of these speakers and would like to make a decision for the cabinet.
My room is about 200 sq ft and a ceiling of about 9 feet.

I hope someone with experience can share the sound difference between these 2 cabinets,?

I read that there is a midbass dip with superpensil.
How significant is this ?
HOw much more bass extension do I get with the bigger cabinet ?
Are both cabinets designed to be placed close to the wall?

thanks

kp93300
Old 10th September 2013, 04:12 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

SuperPensil is not a small cabinet, (19" deep) and that's a fairly small room, so I'd suggest nothing larger than the regular Pensil (~11.5", depending on material used)

Actually, it sounds like it's a bit late to comment, but the 12P might be overkill for the room.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

- overkill...not so if planning to drive them with flea watt low single digit amps, but i can't help wonder if better served by a moose-box http://www.madisound.com/pdf/SmallRe...22p-191012.pdf or MarKen variant / 12P?
Old 10th September 2013, 06:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

mp9 - I think we're on the same page - even the standard Pensil for the 12P isn't compact. I've heard the 12P in 2 different enclosures and rooms - the SuperPensil ( approx 300 ft^2 room, Jeff?) and MarKen12T in much larger space. In both cases driven by tube amps, but P/P with much more than single digit flea power.

The only downside I could foresee with Scott's little BR is the rear port - when space is at a premium as I suspect would be the case in a 200sq ft room, there could be some compromise in performance if placed too near a back wall.
Old 10th September 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Another cabinet with small footprint for the A12P is Bob Brines M12-A12 MLTL. Internal depth few inches less than the standard Pensil. A bit taller though, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Iirc, initially when Scott gave Colin the plans they were just dimensions and he didn't specify a front or rear port location, i think Colin chose rear for additional bass reinforcement from a rear wall.

I don't know if Scott would approve of the small reflex box built with a front port and or if doing so will subject us to chuffing noises from a front port?

I'd guess the above would be a non issue with the front vents of the MarKen possibly tipping the scales in their favor...although -

Re: the MarKen i read it has a smooth LF rolloff.
Re: Moose-box, slightly damped which will match well with low power tube amps.

- henceforth i'm not clear if that would indicate the slightly damped Moose-box the better choice for low watt SET aficionados then a MarKen?
Old 10th September 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Another cabinet with small footprint for the A12P is Bob Brines M12-A12 MLTL. Internal depth few inches less than the standard Pensil. A bit taller though, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Z, i don't think it so much a issue of foot print as all are about the same and both B.B's MLTL and Pencil's are front ported.
If i'm not mistaken i think it's more about bass overpowering the small room. Also the two monitors by virtue of such and on stands, should have the edge wrt imaging, idk...am very curious to try one in one of my small rooms.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

mp9 / Zia - based on my listening to the 12P, bass overpowering the smallish room was my prime concern

I have experience with a room approx that size - I doubt that even a 9ft ceiling would help all that much, and before extensive acoustic treatment is suggested, be aware that bass traps / absorbers have their own real estate premium - by the time the acoustic issues are resolved, the room can get too small to sit in. A case were less can be more.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've already asked in different topics, but haven't received any replies even though i'm sure a number of members knew the answer.
I'll finish my Superpensils in a few days and I'm going with very fine quality sheep wool for damping. Naturally I'm using internal bracing as well..
Where should the damping go within the enclosure? And how does it stay in place?
Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 09:19 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Karlsmoody,

Scott (Super Pensil designer) advises that the stuffing material be unformly distributed throughout the cabinet. Just make sure that it does not get to close to the back of teh driver. The bracing will help the stuffing to stay in place.

Hide this!Advertise here!