Need advice for Alpair 10p build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th September 2013, 07:39 PM   #11
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dave,

You and Chris might have shared before, but what would be the approximate height, width, and (base) depth for the FH XL?

You find the FH XL better vs Alp 10.3 in the new Pensil design?
Old 7th September 2013, 07:44 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

While not exactly the same internal details, think FH3 on steroids - somewhere there should be a picture of the two side by side.

both the new 10s are very nice sounding drivers - but so far I think I prefer the paper

Zia: approx dimensions, depending on thickness of material - we used 18mm- 965mm H x 239mmW x 540mm D at the base. Perhaps the recent posts of interest will prompt Dave to publish the drawings? As to weight, not even all plywood is the same density, so it'd be hard to say, but my guess would be at least 15 kilos each.

Rather apples /oranges between both the 2 drivers and different enclosures. I've yet to hear a direct comparison between the 10.3 and Ps in the same enclosure, so final assessment is reserved.. As much as I enjoy the spacious soundstage delivered by both of the FHs, an all of the Woden rear mouth designs I've heard ( Maeshowe / Valiant and Victor), I'll have to admit that the less intrusive real-estate requirement of MLTLs such as the Pensils and Microtowers certainly work better for my own domestic situation, and possibly many others .

How's that for waffling on the question.

Last edited by chrisb; 7th September 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 7th September 2013, 08:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
How's that for waffling on the question.
I'll give you an 8 out of 10 for that.

jeff
Old 7th September 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Perhaps the recent posts of interest will prompt Dave to publish the drawings? As to weight ... but my guess would be at least 15 kilos each.
Having just hefted them, and a near 22 kg package of FE208eS, 15 kg is probably high.

Click the image to open in full size.

(fronts are lined up)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FH3-FHxl-compare.jpg (110.4 KB, 1064 views)
Old 7th September 2013, 08:40 PM   #15
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Chris,

Thanks for sharing the dimensions. Understand that both the drivers are plenty good, but the "favorite" will vary from person to person .

The soundstage depth is one of the nice features of the FH Mk3, and potential for greater scale and SPL do sound attractive for the FH-XL...

Silly question - would putting the slot port of a Pensil at the back of the cabinet have any chance of improving the sound stage depth?
Old 7th September 2013, 08:47 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
would putting the slot port of a Pensil at the back of the cabinet have any chance of improving the sound stage depth?
Unlikely

dave
Old 8th September 2013, 01:51 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

@Chris,

What would be the ideal height of the driver/cone in relation to the listener's ear? I'm not familiar with full range but AFAIK for 2 way speakers it is recommended that the tweeters be at the same height as the listener's ears.

@Dave,

Would you recommend an FHXL or even a pensil for my listening distance requirement? I can move my current speakers & stands to the bedroom and just make a floorstander for my listening room.

Looking at the pics of the FHXL in your previous post made me confused

thanks everyone!

Last edited by a3cervo; 8th September 2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 9th September 2013, 06:30 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

"ideal" ? - I'm not sure there'd be consensus on that - but I like between 30 -32" myself - I'm not tall, and prefer most of my listening in relaxed seating mode where my ears will be about that high from the floor. With the FH3 and at least a couple of other designs, we've found that a few degrees (5) of backwards tilt to the front baffle or entire cabinet can work very well.

I think I suggested earlier that for the size of room and listening distance that the MarKens on stands should be sufficient. If you elected to sell the stands with the Wharfdales, , Pensils for 10Ps would make more sense than FHXL - the latter have a much deeper footprint ( i.e. 318mm vs 540mm).
Old 10th September 2013, 12:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dear a3cervo,

You should do a Pensil 10p.

No one has documented a build of this yet, or shared detailed listening impressions, and I believe we are all suffering for it. The advancement of diy audio (and my own self interested curiosity) demand that this intriguing new driver and time tested enclosure design be explored, no matter the cost (to you) . If you have seen the recent documentary The Dark Knight Rises, you already know the kind of heroic altruism to which I am referring. The fate of our stereos rests in your hands, good sir.

Be our Batman.

Sincerely,
Soda
Old 27th October 2013, 08:34 AM   #20
jakja83 is offline jakja83  Norway
diyAudio Member

^

Hide this!Advertise here!