Adjusting pensil 12.2 carbinet dimension - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th September 2013, 02:29 AM   #1
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Adjusting pensil 12.2 carbinet dimension

Hello
looking for more info to build a markaudio speaker.
Can the height of the pensil 12.2 p cabinet be adjusted so that the alpair 12.2 p will be at ear level of about 42 inches above floor ?
Can we make the depth of the carbinet shorter?

thanks
kp93300
Old 5th September 2013, 04:49 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Critical dimensions are (internal) Height, distance of driver from the top, wxd cross-section area, terminus area, depth & placement.

To to move the driver up you need to put the box on stands (losing somefloor loading of the terminus). To make it less deep you need to make it wider.

dave
Old 5th September 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

IOW - aspect ratio of cross section area can be adjusted to a degree- I'd counsel on avoiding exactly square, or very wide/shallow- but all others are crucial the function of an MLTL

Lifting the enclosure from the floor more than a few inches could impact the boundary coupling and reduce bass somewhat - if you're concerned about driver height & vertical dispersion, you could consider building the enclosure with a backwards tilt.

We've found a 5dg angle to work quite well with several designs -Tysen, FH3 & FHXL it does take some of the simplicity out of the fabrication, but nowhere to the same degree as something like the trapezoid shaped MarKen, or larger Woden neolith series (Maeshowe, et al)
Old 24th September 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default How critical is critical?

Hi Chris - you say the distance of the driver to the top is critical, would that mean critical to 10mm?

I am rather embarrassed to admit that I measured my dimensions to the point of dementia and still managed to make my cutout for the driver in my brace, too low. Long story short, I had to opt to lower the speakers by 10mm, just to get the job done in the tiny amount of time I had.

I have wondered if it would make an appreciable difference to get the tools out again and rectify the mistake.

Any thoughts?
Old 25th September 2013, 07:32 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Really a question for Dr Scott, but my intuition is that 10mm wouldn't be much of an issue
Old 25th September 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It'll make a difference, but not a massive one. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!