Stretch ceiling speakers fitting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely noob, maybe even stupid question, please don't laugh ) Just wondering, how could someone place the speakers into stretch ceiling? I'm just built pensils 7.3 and excited to the extent I'd like Alpairs in each end every room, kitchen, etc :) Obviously it can be done by making flat enough housing to hide above the membrane itself but maybe there is another approach - just make the frame? The membrane is "slow" enough - it's resonance frequency is about 0.3-0.5 Hz (it oscillate this way then fingered), so could it act as a very large (several hundred liters) sealed box? Would it worth experimenting with or is just a stupid idea?

A very interesting proposition. Considering that the Alpairs will work best in smaller volumes than the full plenum space above the membrane, I think you'd want to build appropriate size enclosures and securely suspend them /isolate them with foam or other such gasketing material from causing sympathetic vibration of the membranes - much the same manner in which penetrations for ventilation would be handled?

edit:
actually, I guess those membrane vibrations would be "parasitic" - regardless of description, I doubt they'd enhance the listening experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. I do agree these membrane vibrations would be parasitic, in fact I only hope its resonance freq is too low to be actuated by the driver so vibrations rather would NOT be.

Surely building cabinets would be the "proper way". But in my case I can put the wires and set up suspension frames into the ceiling relatively easy but to install the cabinets I will need to remove the ceilings completely which is undesirable.

As far as I understand larger sealed boxes would not harm, they just "bigger than enough" - correct me if I wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.