Pensil tuning help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st July 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pensil tuning help

Hi guys
After what seems like an aeon, I have finally climbed my Everest - a Pensil 7.3 build. Family commitments give me very little time to run at it and I've been gradually chipping away, 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there for nearly a year. They are aesthetically a little eccentric; when I've got some decent photos I'll put them up.

On to my question.

What sold me on the 7.3 Pensils was the promise of what I value most in a speaker - clarity and detail. I'm not interested in rattling any windows, I would much rather have a tight, articulate bass with a bright, clear midrange. The results are unfortunately a little underwhelming. The midrange is decently clear and bright but the bass is thick and slow and timid. No punch at all.

I did run the drivers in for 100 hours with some audiobooks and some light folk music. I'm hoping that my problems are simply down to stuffing (I used polyfill). So I'll try to adjust that. As mentioned, I have very little time to tinker so pointers in the right direction would be very gratefully received. From my description, is it likely that I have overstuffed or understuffed? Also, I have no stuffing directly behind the driver - should I add some?

Gigantic thanks to the community here, without whom this project wouldn't have even been conceived. Especially, of course, to Scottmoose.
Old 31st July 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I guess a picture might help:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by roscoman; 31st July 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Original image was huge
Old 31st July 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd guess too much damping?

Is that just a roll of batting? If yes, you need to pull it out nd tease it into an amorpous mass.

Chris found that for his Pensils (A7.2) he had to pull out about a 1/3rd of the stuffing over recommended.

dave
Old 31st July 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Brilliant, thanks so much. I'll give that a whirl and let you know
Old 1st August 2013, 12:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found that with the 7.3 Pencils almost no padding, just a bit of wall damping and a couple of handfulls of polyfil about midway down, seems to work OK for me. YMMV.
Old 1st August 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to relder
My 7.3's are done, with the recommended amount of stuffing spread evenly up the pipe (acoustistuff). Are there any measurements, like a simple impedance graph (I could get the mic out too for FR), that would assist in tuning, or does it just tend to be done by ear?
Old 1st August 2013, 07:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I found that with the 7.3 Pencils almost no padding, just a bit of wall damping and a couple of handfulls of polyfil about midway down, seems to work OK for me. YMMV.
That's interesting. Maybe I'll start with that and work upwards from that. Thanks, silverhairbp
Old 1st August 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hold the phone!

I just realised that I've so far been listening to them at rather low volume (kids in bed). I just got an opportunity to turn the volume up a bit and my word, the sound just opened up like a lotus flower.

I'll try tuning the stuffing as suggested by you kind gents and if what I just heard is a taster of what's to come, I am going to be one very happy bunny

(I'm about to put a picture in the Pensil pics thread)
Old 1st August 2013, 02:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have about 900 hours on my 7.3 Pencils and they seem to be finally settling in. They are quite good. That first 100 hours must be for a safe initial break in, but they will continue to change - for the better - for quite a while.
Old 1st August 2013, 02:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

900 hours, wow! This is a long term relationship then Looking forward to the journey

Hide this!Advertise here!