Alpair 10.3 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul - between the listed choices, I'd take the RB850 for 2 channel music only -actually, I'm using one for the subs in my home theater. Note that both models are well over a decade old and the latest generation of multi-channel receivers offer crazy feature sets and bang for the buck - most particularly the Audyssy EQ and calibration software for room set-up, assignability of surround amp channels ( e.g. for bi-amping front mains), pretty decent built in DACs, and networking capabilities .

I've owned a couple of Denon AVRs, (currently AVR1610), but have most recently been quite amazed by the performance and relatively more user friendly interface of Marantz's SR7005 (daughter and son in law) and 5008 (sister). If buying today, I'd definitely go for one of the Marantzs - they also make some very decent 2 channel audio gear.

Of course, I guess you could try some of that antique technology and consider a tube amp ;)- quite a range of power levels and flavors from which to choose. Provided your listening levels are as my own (hardly ever above 90db), a nice 2A3 PP or larger Pentode SE such as Steven mentioned.

I can joke about that as I own several more tube amps than solid state, and only one of them is currently on the bench awaiting inspiration and time to complete a rebuild.

Last edited:
Thanks steven/chris for your thoughts, i guess i should explain my needs first, I have 2 system set-ups i am trying to update first my living room since my old sansui au417 bit the dust for the last time and my son said it would not like the alpairs anyhow i picked up a 30watt topping chip amp to fill the void for now, my son is saying its lack of power is because the cheep sound card in our computer is probably the culprit, so updating that would be a good start. Since i have not designed or purchased grills for the alpairs there fragility concludes they will not be going up there until i solve that issue.
Since i have another set-up down stairs in a room dedicated to furniture pieces i have for sale, i have a pc there which again for the most part is my music source and the home for my alpairs, again another sound card is needed the plan was to use the chip amp there and purchase a new amp for the living room, my set-up is and will remain stereo only, no surround so a stereo amp is all i am looking for.
Since the alpairs will hopefully be the first of many builds ,they will be for sale as most thinks i build are but i need to solve the grill issue as i am liking them alot
paul

Well certainly not all chip / "class T" digital amps are created equal - among my collection are a pair of Topping TP30s - great for the application of desk-top/nearfield computer monitors, and the surprisingly not awful built in DAC (certainly compared to that of an iPhone /Pod direct analog out) makes for very easy connectionn

In the budget class, Bob Brines would be the first to suggest the larger TP60 - but as it has only RCA line level inputs, you'd be relying on the sound card in a computer based system, which certainly can be a bottleneck. Since I've been running systems with an iMac and Mini as dedicated server at home for a while now ( over 4yrs and 1, respectively) it's not been practical to upgrade the built-in audio, so I use a CityPulse outboard DAC / pre on the Mini and the Topping on the iMac desktop. A "decent enough" stand-alone DAC can be acquired these days for less than $150, to as much as your ego requires and Platinum Amex allows. Sorry about the cheap shot directed at high-end afficionados, but somehow I doubt too many frequent these fora anyway.

To be honest, I've not listened to much mainstream or high end 2 channel consumer audio gear (solid state / tube / hybrid ) since falling down the DIY audio rabbit-hole over a decade ago, so others can make more solid recommendations of brands, etc, but based on my recent experience with Marantz SR receivers, I'd give their 2-channel products a look.

Aren't you glad to be off the commercial "hifi merry-go-round".;)

jeff

with only the occasional regret - but it only takes a brief visit to the time warp that is the local emporium thereof to disabuse me of that sentiment

remember the island on "lost"? spoiler alert - no matter how far they think they traveled in time / space, they were some kind of "dead" all along

what, too much?

I will readily admit that the case work for some of the currently available commercial gear is quite pretty.
For modern receivers, I am partial to the Anthem MRX line, I went through a few units and was happy to end up with one.
I have also hooked up an amp camp amp to some CHR-70s since I have yet to make any progress on anything Alpair related, and it was wonderful. Far better than the class T amp that is normally connected to them. I don't know if you are as comfortable with a soldering as you are with woodwork though.

finished build pics

The curly ash needs a little colour correction in light room, but here are a few of the final pics

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 225
Aren't you glad to be off the commercial "hifi merry-go-round".;)

jeff

Depends on what you consider "commercial hifi." If you're talking about big box electronics, yes. But there are a lot of smaller manufacturers that still believe that top quality is more important than making a lot of money. Some of the old time high-end manufacturers have sold out (Mark Levinson, ARC to name two). There are some who are in the field because of their love of music.

I guess I'd consider "commercial" hi-fi to be those products which can obtained at our local (crumbling) bricks and mortar emporium. Jeff, myself, Dave and several other forum members have been former employees and long time addicts (oops, customers). Over the span of almost 40yrs have purchased / auditioned a fairly extensive range of gear from mainstream manufacturers such as NAD, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Advent, Paradigm, to more esoteric, boutique, even "Hi-End" such as Quad, Audio Research, AudioNote, Hafler, Rega, Spica, PS Audio, Acoustat, Naim, Linn, B&W, Sonus Faber, Meridian, Magnepan, - frankly dozens too many to remember all .

While there's certainly no doubt that such retailers and many of the smaller brands they represent got started for their love of music, it's my own opinion that they stay in the business for the love of the commerce, and after many decades a certain degree of ennui shouldn't be a surprise - or maybe that's just me.

Of course, there are numerous examples of smaller, now defunct manufacturers more focused on the sound and overly ambitious growth, and less on the practical commerce side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.