Pensils for Alpair 10.3 & Alpair 10p - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th June 2013, 02:53 AM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Chocolate or Pumpkin with candied ginger for me.

jeff

why choose? - just remember, it's all about portion size
Old 26th June 2013, 07:31 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Actually a semi circular vent would fit the bill quie nicely, internal measures 203mm which gives an area just shy of the rectangular vent. Not sure it's as pretty though, sort of a "pie is half gone" sort of look
Old 26th June 2013, 10:17 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Stop the press, that hole is the same size of a guitars sound hole! All sorts of options for purchasing decorative rossettes to make it look like you have great skill

Pictures will follow.
Old 28th June 2013, 03:53 PM   #24
RevMen is offline RevMen  United States
diyAudio Member

Come on Madisound! I'm ready to do this.
Old 12th July 2013, 08:07 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Scott, Are there any ill side effects to increasing the overall height of your pensil designs and raising the port higher off the ground? I would maintain all internal dimensions and spacing, just add a cavity to the bottom.
Also do you expect the pensil's to significantly outperform your Standmount Bass Reflex designs? (apart from bass) Thx!
Old 12th July 2013, 08:14 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

They're different to the BR stand mounts. I can't really comment on whether they'll outperform them or not, since the design remits are not the same. There's more adjustability & a flatter impedance load with the pensils, along with more useable LF extension, although Fb isn't actually all that far removed. Depends on what it is you're trying to do as to which is likely to meet your requirements.

The 10.3 & 10P box are already taller than their predecessors. If you raise them further, you'll loose out on floor-coupling and probably end up with more of an issue with floor-bounce, so I not something I'd recommend.

Best
Scott

Last edited by Scottmoose; 12th July 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:14 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

great, thanks planet10.
looking forward to the minionkens
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:07 AM   #28
goughi is offline goughi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Are there any plans to redesign the Frugal-Horn 3 to accept the 10.3 or would it work to simply upscale the dimensions of the FH3 to keep in scale with the larger driver? I know very little about speaker design, but I suspect that simply up scaling won't provide optimal performance.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:49 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Scaling boxes rarely works unless you know exactly what it is you're doing, since it is not simply a case of increasing dimensions in an arbitrary fashion. To scale a box, you need to know what the design objectives of the original were, then re-size the enclosure to based on these and the altered target alignment.

A box similar to FH3 has been done, as seen in the other thread. Comparing three different Alpair's It is currently being prototyped.
Old 2nd August 2013, 05:11 PM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

FHXL/10Ps have been playing in 2.0(no woofers) in my HT rig for this past week - working the drivers in as much as possible.

My son plays bass in a local band and recently gave me a copy of their soon to be released first CD - material with which he'll of course be intimately familiar, and I've heard them play live a couple of times as well. While these won't cleanly deliver stage level full output of the bottom string, they have substantially better bass than they have any right to.

edit: let me rephrase that - Scott would say they should meet their design remit without compromise - it's still hard to believe how much these little cones can emit

Dave has the Pensil10.3s at his place - perhaps he'll pipe in with some observations.

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd August 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!