A DIY sub for 7.3's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th June 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A DIY sub for 7.3's

After much pondering about how to have your cake and eat it, I have decided to make some frugal horns for a pair of 7.3's. In the event that it's a Frank Zappa or Led Zepplin evening rather than string quartets, I want to add a subwoofer and the option of a high pass for the 7.3's.

My thoughts were to build in an alternative input into the frugal horns with a high pass, and for the rest of the time listen to them unaided.

I will be running the speakers with a F5, and thought I might power the subs with a spare gain clone.

Is there a recommended diy sub that would work well? And is there a good level for making the high pass for the 7.3's and a low pass for the sub?

Many thanks for your thoughts
Old 8th June 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have been stuck on SDX7 for while, now that they are unobtainium, we are starting tolook at others, but haven't found anything we can get ecited about yet,

If you can find something that will work in the ~14-20 litres you can get out of a stealthWoofer/deflactor, that works really well. A PLLXO at ~100 Hz should work out pretty well.

dave
Old 8th June 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks dave, the stealth woofers look great, but my room will not allow the extra space (children) It's a slight stretch to choose the fh over the pensils. I was hoping to build a passive sub powered by the gain clone (hidden in another corner) and an option to use high pass on the 7.3's. I have very limited understanding of the science, but can follow a plan and use a soldering iron. The other option is to buy a sub from new, but with limited budget I am not sure if I can get one which crosses over high enough.
Old 17th July 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure how much shipping will add, but the Dayton RSS-210HF-4 has been used as the woofer in several 3 way designs, so will cross plenty high to meet the 7.3.

Dayton Audio RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-456
Old 17th July 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure how much shipping will add, but the Dayton RSS-210HF-4 has been used as the woofer in several 3 way designs, so will cross plenty high to meet the 7.3.

Dayton Audio RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-456
Hi Chaps,
Should you be lucky enough to win the lottery, buying yourself a nice spanking new Lotus sports car, would you then put low-grip tires on it?

Please take time to read my many posts on the subject of high mass boomer bass drivers like the one suggested.

Please take a look at Dave's (Planet 10) post No.2.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 17th July 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Woofer 6 / EL166?

A pair of those per side in wide baffled MLTL kick serious butt for a lot less $ than the SDX7, but alas, are also now "unobtanium"

edit: we have had some success with multiples of one of the little Peerless mid bass drivers, as well as Silver Flutes in the 6" range - cones any larger and more massive than that can certainly move a lot of air, and be appropriate enough for the "full immersion" HT experience, but definitely not transparent / seamless in the transition to a high resolution wide-bander such as the 7.3 - and as we'll soon start hearing more field reports, the new 10.3 and 10P

Last edited by chrisb; 17th July 2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 05:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You should have heard Colin's Edingdales, especially with the tweaked XO. Within the context of 'normal' sized floorstanders (in the contemporary parlance) they have enough output down to 30Hz or lower to blow the three little pigs brick house down.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 17th July 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 08:25 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Scott - indeed, if I remember correctly, wasn't it Colin's enthusiasm for the Woofer6 that contributed to its early stock depletion?

I know that Mark has loftier goals than yet another budget priced mid bass driver - I was almost gonna say "boiler plate design", but it was rather more than that.

Too bad it's no longer available, but c-est la vie, n'est-ce pas?

Like I said earlier, there is no shortage of reasonable candidates for mid-woofers to support the A7.3 - pick your favorite.
Old 17th July 2013, 08:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 17th July 2013, 11:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello Chaps,
I'll do my best to take another look at making a large woof. I got out of hospital yesterday having done my first 6 month check, got the "green light" no new tumours (phew). So feeling like a new fella, I'll put my best foot forward and what we can russell-up in the way of a bass unit.

I can understand those guys looking at big subs. While they don't mechanically /acoustically match the Alpair's, its given me an idea.

I must also crack on with Alpair 8 and I've got some thinking brewing on the 12P...... ummmmmph.......lots to do.

Cheers
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!