front loading alpairs!? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 12th May 2013, 03:13 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

let the driver be backloaded or boxed(MLTL)! we can still add a front loading horn right?
if even remotely this idea makes sense(!) then my next question would be is there any software for designing such thing?
Old 12th May 2013, 10:24 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Yes. That's what the Altec Voice of the Theatre (VOTT) range were for e.g. You really need to know exactly what you're doing and why though if you want to get decent performance; it's not quite as straightforward as you might think.

Hornrsp and Akabak can model such designs. There's not much practical use for them in most home audio situations though.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 12th May 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12th May 2013, 09:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
let the driver be backloaded or boxed(MLTL)! we can still add a front loading horn right?
if even remotely this idea makes sense(!) then my next question would be is there any software for designing such thing?
The Beauhorn uses both front and rear loading with a Lowther DX4. These sounded really good, but alas still needed subwoofer help to sound right/balanced. I've used a front horn to tame a "shouty" driver (DX55), but rear loading still did not provide enough gain to match it.

For Alpairs, think shortish horn to not attenuate the highs too much and provide gain to compensate for BSC down to around 200Hz or so for a reasonable size, then the rear load will take over around 200Hz or so. Purist single driver approach and could be done, but so much easier with EQ and/or adding a woofer.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That's a compound horn, which is slightly different from what was asked.

Most of the Alpairs don't actually need any help with step-loss, so rear-loading of any kind tends to be all that's required to hit the desired response in the majority of cases.
Old 17th October 2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

As far as I know, the main attraction for front loaded horn is to get an increase in SPL / sensitivity. I thought front loaded horns tended to be limited to 3 octaves and therefore full range wasn't realistic. But if you could do a front loaded horn with the 10.3, achieve higher SPL - it might be a fun thing to try. I agree, not much point in front loading if you put a MLTL on the back.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th October 2013, 07:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Depends on the horn & what the requirements are.
Old 17th October 2013, 08:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

For discussion sake, say I liked the Pencil with the 10.3 but wanted a bit more sensitivity. Let's say a bit more means 3dB at least. And if I didn't want the phase delay associated with a backloaded horn or bass reflex. So I then look to a front loaded horn. Is it feasible to get the frequency response of the Pencil in a front loaded horn, with greater sensitivity ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th October 2013, 09:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Not really since they're designed for completely different things.

Leaving the basic alignment issues aside, if you want to go 1-way driver & vaguely full-range then an FLH isn't practical. They are not immune from the laws of physics, so to get low you'll need a straight (as in unfolded) horn. Think ~10ft long, minimum. You can go compound loading to increase efficiency with either a bass horn or vented box on the back. That works, the VOTTs are good examples, though since they were intended for use in cinemas (the clue being in their name) they didn't necessarily make ideal domestic speakers without some redesign.
Old 18th October 2013, 01:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

If my living room were sized like my local cinema we might have something to talk about, but since it isn't I don't think a front horn is in the cards...
Old 18th October 2013, 03:02 PM   #20
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Ferguson Hill - FHOO1 Horn Speaker

FHOO1 front horn/Lowther DX3, 150hz - 20khz. 100db. 65"Hx36"Wx28"L

Hide this!Advertise here!