Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 27th June 2013, 12:27 PM   #81
HPH is offline HPH  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr.Mark,
Alpair 10p arrived.
Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (449.7 KB, 731 views)
Old 28th June 2013, 04:05 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Hello Chaps,
I've finally found enough time to get the anechoic off axis testing done using our top draw mic.

Please see (download) the attached PDF. Apologies for any typo or other errors, I'm bit tired at this time, under doc's order to rest but I keep reminding them I have to work to pay their large bills! Let me know if you see anything glaringly wrong: email: support@markaudio.com

As I hoped, the 10P's low profile cone is doing it job, delivering a particularly wide dispersion, allowing for a flattening of the off-axis output ratio. I'm breathing a sigh of "relief" as the down-side of such a low profile design is the stability in the audible transmission. While the frequency graph isn't the smoothest compared to the 10M (et al), is aint bad for an extended output full-ranger.

I continue to recommend the use of this driver on lower power applications; The use of the 10P box design and similar large cabinets I think will get the best from this driver. But I do appreciate the WAF and PAF factor so it would be nice to see if members would like to design some smaller boxes for the 10P. Those members with nice clean amplification could have some fun with this driver.

Naturally, your the guys that really count, so I look forward to seeing how the 10P is deployed.

Enjoy!

Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alpair 10P Gen.1.pdf (509.9 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 28th June 2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 28th June 2013, 10:41 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Off-axis behaviour looks v. good here too.

Re the smaller boxes, I've done several already; the dimensions were sent with detailed modelled responses at the end of last month (same time as I did the pensils).
Old 28th June 2013, 11:50 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

The Alpair 10P BR I mentioned above. Nice & straightforward build; it's got a lightly damped alignment so should be a decent match to high output impedance amplifiers and / or near boundaries. Give them a bit of breathing space to the rear & I'd expect them to do very nicely.

Please note: this design is my property, and supplied for DIY use only. Any other purpose, please contact me for terms.
Attached Images
File Type: gif VB Response Mark Audio Alpair 10P.gif (33.0 KB, 645 views)
File Type: gif VB Impedance Mark Audio Alpair 10P.gif (28.1 KB, 621 views)
File Type: gif VB Excursion Mark Audio Alpair 10P.gif (21.8 KB, 608 views)
File Type: gif VB PortAirSpeed Mark Audio Alpair 10P.gif (22.8 KB, 600 views)
File Type: gif VB Step Response Mark Audio Alpair 10P.gif (26.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: png 10P BR.png (32.5 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 28th June 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 4th July 2013, 10:49 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Hello Folks,
A quick update on listening impressions gathered locally on the 10P's. The general impressions are a "thumbs up" for this driver. Norio and Steve were very impressed on the driver's ability to soak up up extra power without having heart attacks.

Overall, the general feeling is the 10P is very audibly sensitive, more so than the 10M, won't suit every amp that comes along. Soft and warm lower power warm amps seem to be the preferred options.

Ha in Hanoi, Vietnam sent me this message:

"Mr.Mark,
Thanks. The 10P driver is very hard to drive by 45tube amp but 2a3 tube amp is good.
Thanks
Ha"

I don't have any details on Ha's amps, but assume his 2a3 will be around 3 watts. I think his 45 tubes will be around 2 watts? So from Ha's testing so far, 2a3's upwards should be fine, although I'd like to hear from more guys with flee amps trying the 10P's.

Bob Brine's (post 29 - Frequency modulation thread) has ordered 10P's:

"The A10.2 will go lower louder, but not with the finesse of the A7.3. I have a preorder in for the A10P's. I have great expectations!"

I hope Bob won't be disappointed as I sort of worry a little that the 10P won't suit His listening style. From my memory Bob likes to play organ music etc fairly loud, the 10P being ubber sensitive on emittance might need some taming. I know Bob is a very capable box designer/maker and a keen user of active filtering so I'm confident he'll get a usable/pleasing result.

In general, I'd urge guys to consider the 10P as a "technical" unit, particularly suited to lower power set-ups. Tube guys are likely the most to like this driver. But like so many things in life, we may well be surprised by set-ups using other classes of amps. Source wise, up to you guys but anything below decent studio stuff gets murdered, is my experience by the 10P's so far.

So far, my test pair of 10P's are in 12+ litre boxes with vents that have been modified, not ideal. I want to make Pensils and Scott's BR box as I'm certain the 10P will benefit from more air (bigger volume box). It is bass capable (within reason!). The suspensions will generate a large back-wave so I recon a moderately damped Pensil 10P box will be very interesting!

Anyone wanting a more docile driver, the 10M Gen.3 would be my suggestion. Ummmmmph..............very interesting local feedback so far, giving me much to think about (brain fizzing away about a mass reduction new coil design for 12P)

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 4th July 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 9th July 2013, 02:19 PM   #86
suburra is offline suburra  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi all

I have built 2 cabinet for Markaudio 10 Gen2
GR Minionken and a vented box Heric Hartmann project

I would like to buy the new 10 Pape cone, it's possible to use this cabinet?
If not, I can modify them to make them fit the new speaker?

Thank's in advance

Marco
Old 9th July 2013, 03:23 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburra View Post
Hi all

I have built 2 cabinet for Markaudio 10 Gen2
GR Minionken and a vented box Heric Hartmann project

I would like to buy the new 10 Pape cone, it's possible to use this cabinet?
If not, I can modify them to make them fit the new speaker?
Probably. You will need to shorten the port. What are the cabinet dimensions?

Bob
Old 9th July 2013, 03:29 PM   #88
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think one of those ( GR mini-onken) is a Planet10 design, so Dave could pipe in with his notes on revisions
Old 9th July 2013, 03:34 PM   #89
suburra is offline suburra  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob

Thank you for reply

my 2 cabinets

View image: Vented Box for Alpair10(1) page 1

View image: Classic GR Mar Ken10g2 map 260612 page 1
Old 9th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #90
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have yet to look at the miniOnken for 10.3 & 10p. Stay tuned.

I will say that if optimum tuning is higher it may not be a neat fix to get ptimal tuning from an older box.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!