Alpair 10P: Preview - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 19th May 2013, 05:32 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

I've just finished up a pensil & a stand-mount BR design for the new unit; should have the dimensions / drawings sorted in the near future.
Old 19th May 2013, 06:25 PM   #62
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Scott, did you happen to look at the Xseed A10 by MLC post 52? More specifically the wave-guide slight front horn loading? You can find more specifics by entering mleacabinet.com into a google search then using google translate (don't use the MLC website English option, its lacking, like the google notes version of a book), click on the top half of the web site home page above the language options bar, scroll down to "posted on April 25 2013 and click on the title "Front Horn After All", you'll find RME DIGICheck Spectral Analyser plots with and without front horn (wave-guide).

I'm very interested in your take on the two plots, if you think a wave guide incorporated into a Pencil cabinet for the A10P would be a good idea or not and why, i.e. will it mess up the driver/pencil built in BSC etc.?
Old 19th May 2013, 06:43 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

On the basis of a brief look, there doesn't seem much information to go on. Judging from the pictures, the very small waveguide provided by presumably the rings added around the driver appear to cause a small difference, as you'd expect, in the on-axis FR. What it would do off-axis is another matter -waveguides = directivity control device, so I'd expect that to drop off somewhat more quickly. What it would do to a pensil & whether it would be worth it depends on a/ what advantages you're hoping to achieve, and b/ the design of the waveguide itself & what BW it primarily affects. There's no technical reason why you couldn't, but as noted, the box design would likely need some adjustment depending on exactly how you've altered the direct driver output to ensure an optimal balance.

On another matter, those cabinet dimensions seem a bit OTT to me. 1320mm tall = 52in. Not an issue in itself, but looking at the pictures, if that's correct, it's going to put the driver rather above typical ear-height. Pretty boxes though.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 19th May 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 07:02 PM   #64
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, ok. Thanks Scott.
Old 21st May 2013, 01:56 PM   #65
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

This looks like a very nice driver - I don't need another project but this might just get me out in the garage again.

I would be particularly interested in some off-axis measurement data when it becomes available.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:11 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10P pic

Hi Guys,
I've been asked allot for a better pic of the Alp10P, especially its cone and cap design. See attached.

Thx
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp10P-front1-sml.jpg (61.0 KB, 563 views)
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:49 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of the "team"

Hi Guys,
Here's some late pics of the fellas who assembled all the recent Madisound and Japan shipments.
Evan's done much of the development work on the Alpair 10P - see his pic.

Brian (Madisound) reminded all makers that US customs want to see "country of origin" labels on all individual products (not just the cartons). I went 1 step further by letting you all know exactly who assembles Markaudio drivers for you guys. Our labels state country origin and gives the names of the guys who assembled the drivers.

I'm very proud of these fellas.

Thx
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evan-coil-alp10p.jpg (156.5 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg evan-jeffsan.jpg (105.9 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg evan-kita1.jpg (109.3 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd May 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:16 AM   #68
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

As well you should be, wish I could buy them a pint!
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:13 AM   #69
gassit is offline gassit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Or two.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:23 PM   #70
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
This looks like a very nice driver -I don't need another project but this might just get me out in the garage again.

and you call yourself a DIYer- - of course you need extraneous project(s)

Hide this!Advertise here!