Alpair 10P: Preview - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 04:40 AM   #41
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hello Fellas,
A short update on 10P progress. I've decided to do some last minute "tweaking". Apologies to my team and allot of members who'd like to see results this week, but there might be more performance potential in this driver that I'd like to extract.

Currently, the significant data is an ultra low mms (5.4g) power-train supported on suspensions that are already very compliant. However, given that the power-train, particularly the cone is stable and given that we are maintaining a long throw design, there's some remaining engineering design maneuvering room to further extend the linear travel of the suspensions while slightly reducing mass.

I can't say that my new suspension designs will work, but I very much want to try them. We should get close to testing the new components next week.

If I can get my ideas to function, the driver will knock on the door of 90dB with the largest linear mechanical compliance in this size driver I've produced to date. Will be verrrrrry interesting to see what you guys can do with a driver such as this, since the driven load required to make it oscillate (LF load) will be modest.

Thanks
Mark.
Mark,

Had any luck in the lab?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 01:59 PM   #42
diyAudio Member
 
markaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default Alpair 10P-A final data

Hi Guys,
Apologies for the long time its taken to publish these results but I've been busy getting "tweaks" done. In particular I wanted to get the driver as close to 90dB on its SPL as possible, mostly by the use of the lightest spider we've ever used.

Couldn't quite squeak 90dB, got got uber close while maintaining a useful Fo 0f 42Hz and kept the total Q above the 0.3

I've done my upmost to maintain control over the frequency. Like the Alpair 12P, it is more variable than its metal counterparts but I'm happy to say from all the listening tests, they sound good. I'm confident you'll have allot of fun with this driver.

For my part I've mostly played the new 10P's on low power tube amps while others (Norio, Greg and Lawrence) have used them on solid state amps liking the shear detail. Take you pick and "experiment".

Cheers
Mark.

T/S Anechoic: 2.2/30g spider final version: 10P Gen1
Revc= 6.200 Ohm
Fo= 42.398 Hz
Sd= 88.250 cm
Vas= 29.995 Ltr
Cms= 2.712m M/N
Mmd= 4.719 g
Mms= 5.196 g
BL= 4.741 TM
Qms= 2.425
Qes= 0.382
Qts= 0.330
Levc= 50.196u H
No= 0.579 %
SPLo= 89.645 dB
Xmax = 7mm (1 way) limited by Arrestor
Power = 30 watts Nom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alp10P-fr.jpg (120.2 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10P-imp1.jpg (133.1 KB, 821 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 17th May 2013 at 02:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:12 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
Apologies for the long time its taken to publish these results but I've been busy getting "tweaks" done. In particular I wanted to get the driver as close to 90dB on its SPL as possible, mostly by the use of the lightest spider we've ever used.

Couldn't quite squeak 90dB, got got uber close while maintaining a useful Fo 0f 42Hz and kept the total Q above the 0.3

I've done my upmost to maintain control over the frequency. Like the Alpair 12P, it is more variable than its metal counterparts but I'm happy to say from all the listening tests, they sound good. I'm confident you'll have allot of fun with this driver.

For my part I've mostly played the new 10P's on low power tube amps while others (Norio, Greg and Lawrence) have used them on solid state amps liking the shear detail. Take you pick and "experiment".

Cheers
Mark.

T/S Anechoic: 2.2/30g spider final version: 10P Gen1
Revc= 6.200 Ohm
Fo= 42.398 Hz
Sd= 88.250 cm
Vas= 29.995 Ltr
Cms= 2.712m M/N
Mmd= 4.719 g
Mms= 5.196 g
BL= 4.741 TM
Qms= 2.425
Qes= 0.382
Qts= 0.330
Levc= 50.196u H
No= 0.579 %
SPLo= 89.645 dB
Xmax = 7mm (1 way) limited by Arrestor
Power = 30 watts Nom.

If it's not been stated before - I'd worry far less about the "magic" number of 90dB sensitivity, and more about the extended bandwidth, which it seems you've accomplished.

Can't wait to get my ears on a pair of these
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:46 PM   #44
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Now that the specs for the new driver are available, cabinet designs could be created. IIRC, the same Pencil cabinets for the 10.2 would work OK for the 10.3 metal, but there a fairly large divergence for the 10p.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:54 PM   #45
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Now that the specs for the new driver are available, cabinet designs could be created. IIRC, the same Pencil cabinets for the 10.2 would work OK for the 10.3 metal, but there a fairly large divergence for the 10p.

oh, I think the robot spiders have already forwarded pertinent TSP to our favorite modelers -

and IINM, Mark's track record for QC is such that awaiting delivery of actual drivers to verify measures is not critical - barometric pressure, what we drank with lunch, or the damping factor of our DHT flea watt amps could well make more difference in what we hear than minor variances in an individual driver's parameters
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:59 PM   #46
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chris,

What I meant is that the specs for the 10p had not yet been released (that I can recall). Since they are different from the 10.3 Metal, it would seem they would perform better in a cabinet designed specifically around their T/S measurements rather than dropping them in a 10.2 Pencil.

But I agree that a good pinot noir can definitely change the damping characteristics of my eardrum.

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 07:34 PM   #47
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Chris,

What I meant is that the specs for the 10p had not yet been released (that I can recall). Since they are different from the 10.3 Metal, it would seem they would perform better in a cabinet designed specifically around their T/S measurements rather than dropping them in a 10.2 Pencil.
There may have been some preliminary issued weeks ago, but I meant the "final" specs just published in Mark's post above.

Quote:



But I agree that a good pinot noir can definitely change the damping characteristics of my eardrum.

Bill
or a nice Argentinian Malbec - some are better than others, but as much as I've tried, I've yet to find one that's unpalatable - even at under $20 a bottle - Llama 2011 was a nice vintage (nice pairing with the black bean / quinoa veggie burgers and hand massaged kale salad )
__________________
now on sabbatical

Last edited by chrisb; 17th May 2013 at 07:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 07:43 PM   #48
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
.....

or Argentinian Malbec - some are better than others, but as much as I've tried, I've yet to find one that's unpalatable - even at under $20 a bottle - Llama 2011 was a nice vintage
If I can EVER get up there (and Terry O. doesn't side track me too much), we'll have to compare notes. I can probably smuggle in a case or two that we could test.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 07:53 PM   #49
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
If I can EVER get up there (and Terry O. doesn't side track me too much), we'll have to compare notes. I can probably smuggle in a case or two that we could test.

CRAP - I better crib some notes from SY so I can sound experienced when talking about it - I know what I like when I taste it, but don't ask me to analyze it

hmm, that kinds sounds like my approach to music / sound as well... interesting
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 01:37 AM   #50
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willamette Valley
Wine, song...is there one other mystery that fits (or doesn't fit) in here?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 10 vs Alpair 7 - Open baffle with boxed woofer. Passive Xover. TiMBoZ Markaudio 56 3rd March 2014 08:21 PM
Alpair 6p vs alpair 6m vs alpair 7 timreeves Markaudio 11 8th January 2013 04:37 PM
Alpair 12en in BIBen cabinet or Alpair 7 in fonken w/subs tripathdude Full Range 1 7th November 2010 06:04 AM
Ar 10p ??? jovan Multi-Way 0 6th January 2005 08:44 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2