Alpair 10P: Preview - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th January 2014, 07:55 PM   #161
4mc2 is offline 4mc2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Music power is double Db of RMS ............... habitualy he must be in Rms .......

Coral Beta 8 have 16 watts rms or 35 watts music .......... with music watt he have dynamic of sound included ( the higher load of sound ).

no problem .......... 35 watt music is ok , but a little short

proximity .................. 4 to 5 feet of speaker

n.b. I can understand that for a person from Danmark you have not perfecly with the english . ( if I don't make a mistake )

Last edited by 4mc2; 20th January 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:16 PM   #162
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Michel, at the risk of inflaming things, I'd opine that neither is the Queen's English is not your native tongue?

To the question of proximity/application, if I have it right, your answer was listening distance of 4-5 feet and mixing console with SPLs in the 80s, I'd suggest you also look at the A7.3.

and exactly to whom is the following addressed?

" n.b. I can understand that for a person from Danmark you have not perfecly with the english . ( if I don't make a mistake ) "

Last edited by chrisb; 20th January 2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: grammur and speling
Old 20th January 2014, 08:23 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mc2 View Post
Music power is double Db of RMS ............... habitualy he must be in Rms .......

Coral Beta 8 have 16 watts rms or 35 watts music .......... with music watt he have dynamic of sound included ( the higher load of sound ).

no problem .......... 35 watt music is ok , but a little short

proximity .................. 4 to 5 feet of speaker

n.b. I can understand that for a person from Danmark you have not perfecly with the english . ( if I don't make a mistake )
Hi Michel,
Its OK, we understand English is your second language. Do your best to explain and we will try to understand you.

I quote power handling based on Music power but always on the side of safety with lower figures. Markaudio drivers will handle more power (within reason), the latest models having over-load protection built-in (Arrestor). Please bear in mind that other Full-Range makers (Tangbang, EJ Jordan, Lowther et al.) don't give a definition of power-handling. Sadly there is no satisfactory power rating industry standard for Full-Range drivers.

For proximity of 4 to 5 feet, ummmmph.... I wonder if an Alpair 7 would be a better driver size choice, but I think you've already purchased the 10P's? I am right that you will make O/B for this listening distance? Or do I mis-undertand your design concept?

Chris, Dave (Planet 10) and other members have much experience with Alpair 10P so explain as much as possible. They are all good guys and time permitting, will do what they can to help.

(Guys, let try to make our replies an "easy read" for Michel- many thanks)

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 20th January 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:46 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Like I say ......... no problem !

I always prefered paper ......... the best timbre ( french word ) for instrument of music was always with paper not other think !

7.3 have a peak at 5 kz ............. not really flat

OK , I see that with the 7.3 he have a very good imaging for the musical stage .......... next time perhaps

Last edited by 4mc2; 20th January 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:59 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mc2 View Post
Like I say ......... no problem !

I always prefered paper ......... the best timbre ( french word ) for instrument of music was always with paper not other think !

7.3 have a peak at 5 kz ............. not really flat
Arr..yes, apologies I forgot your preference for paper.

The 7.3 doesn't have a significant peak at 5-kHz. There's a peak at +10kHz, well damped at a range point not affecting its sound quality. It has an excellent reputation for smooth dynamic sound. Worth doing a search on the forum as many who like paper also like and use this driver.

Your Beta's likely have a significant dip in the telephonic band (starts around 3-kHz), then quickly rises (peak) at around 5.5-kHz. Its likely audible in this part of the frequency spectrum. Please remember I have many hours of anechoic analysis (those I've tested), I know how these drivers actually perform. They are good, but not free of faults and not perfect (no driver is perfect).

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 20th January 2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 20th January 2014, 09:28 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Michel - per Mark's above post - I'm definitely one of those guys who generally prefers paper to plastic, woven glass or carbon fiber or metals. In fact two of my favorite drivers of the 10yrs have been paper cones by Mark - EL70 and EL166, and my current upstairs system runs a pair of CHBW70 and small tweeter per enclosure.

That said, the Alpair7 metal (I believe my 3 current units are actually Gen 2?) is not at all what I'd call peaky - indeed I've heard paper cones such as Fostex FE126 and 166 to which I would ascribe that characteristic. I've listened to the A7s in a very wide range of enclosures over the past several years, and one of their strengths is imaging and resolution of lower level harmonics / inner detail.

I've quickly become quite enamored of the 10Ps, but to date have only heard them in a BLH that due to their footprint might not be practical for your application. There are compact BR and "miniOnken" type enclosures, as well as at least 2 variations of floorstanding MLTLs (Pensil, and Bob Brines' M10-A10) for this driver.
Old 20th January 2014, 10:49 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Hi ChrisB

I don't like the "timbre" of Fostex speaker ........ the more naturel was with some Japan speaker or Europe ( some one ) . the next time I will trust the 7.3 just for see there signature . ...... and for the 10P I will make my proper experience for find the best enclose .

=============

For Mark
With my Beta 8 in living room , I use some equalization for well balancing the sound ......... my acoustic is enough neutral . ...... and for the stories of watt ........ I like the know where is the safe limit ......... just that !

Last edited by 4mc2; 20th January 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:41 AM   #168
diyAudio Member

Michel - I can certainly understand that even those models of Fostex drivers that I find quite acceptable (there are some), can be anathema to others

But as this is Mark's commercial forum, we should probably refrain from the "F" word

As it sounds that the 10Ps have already been decided upon / procured? I guess all that's left is to decide which enclosure best suits this specific application - did I miss if you've yet discussed any enclosure size constraints?

Last edited by chrisb; 21st January 2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 21st January 2014, 03:39 AM   #169
diyAudio Member

I've recently taken the plunge and ordered a pair of 10P, and simultaneously had Scott design a custom enclosure. FHXL is very intriguing, but the depth of the footprint is simply beyond WAF tolerance. Also, I am a die-hard fan of the "Castle"-style dual driver full-range configuration, and I simply must know how A10-series perform in such. Very exciting times ahead for me, as I gear up to build "microTower's" big brother. Anyone interested should watch for a build thread in the coming months, which I will likely gratuitously cross-post over in the Full Range forum. Good luck to everyone else with there own projects, and thanks to Mark for continuing to offer us incredible audio experiences. Thanks also to Scott and Dave for the hard work on the design for my project. I am so excited to see the plans!
Old 21st January 2014, 02:58 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris

I can to have a old alpair ........ the 6 , first version ......... he is good or too low performance from the 7.3 or 10P

Hide this!Advertise here!