Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th August 2013, 08:16 AM   #121
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karloff70 View Post
lit looks like the 10P basically reaches lower than the bigger 12P full stop.
It does.

To further confuse you, i suspect that EL70 (4") goes lower than A10.3 or A10p. But not the 10.2.

The driver size is not a direct factor. There is a tendency forlarger drivers to have a larger Vas but this is not hard & fast (loose & goosey would be a bette metric). Qt & Fs are the other 2 parameters for figuring out theorectical sealed response.

dave
Old 5th August 2013, 08:35 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It does.

To further confuse you, i suspect that EL70 (4") goes lower than A10.3 or A10p. But not the 10.2.

The driver size is not a direct factor. There is a tendency forlarger drivers to have a larger Vas but this is not hard & fast (loose & goosey would be a bette metric). Qt & Fs are the other 2 parameters for figuring out theorectical sealed response.

dave
Thank you very much for pulling my head out of the wrong place. Seems the 10P is perhaps what I am after then.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:33 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:35 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Could someone help interpret the above graph for me? I assume it means that the bass drops off at around 100hz, but is there anything else that is significant here?
Old 2nd December 2013, 01:43 PM   #125
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

I presume the sealed box with the bump up around 150 might make a sort of BBC monitor alignment.
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:42 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Depends what you call 'significant'

Re BBC, almost. That one looks to have a Q of 1; IIRC, the LS3/5a had a Q of 1.1-1.2 depending on how many leaks there were in the box.
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:26 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Since the graphs were posted without further comment as a response to a question about how the 10p and 12p might perform in sealed cabinets, I assume the graphs were supposed to speak for themselves. Unfortunately, while they may be speaking to others they're saying very little to me (other than highlighting my inexperience in reading these kinds of things). Whether my questions are significant or not is likely a relative notion, but I would appreciate some help with the following:

1. The graph seems to represent speaker response for a box volume of 3.666 liters and other than having relatively little bass it looks like a fairly desirable straight line to me. Is the lack of substantial bass supposed to stand as a self-evident argument against using sealed enclosures with this type of speaker (since more desirable results can be obtained with non-sealed enclosures)?

2. Can the response provided here be assumed to follow for cabinets of different (e.g. larger) volumes, or only for the volume specified? What would happen if the 10p was placed in a larger volume, or is the specified volume presumed to be ideal for the 10p in a sealed enclosure?

3. Lastly, to put my ignorance fully on display here, why does the graph show four sets of lines (four black, four yellow, and so on)? Is this supposed to represent a range of likely results (almost like a probabilistic range) or is it something simpler and more mundane?
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:44 PM   #128
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophil View Post
Could someone help interpret the above graph for me? I assume it means that the bass d150 Hz)rops off at around 100hz, but is there anything else that is significant here?
Simulation of the sealed box response with Qs of 0.5, 0.58, 0.707, 1.0 (bottom to top at 150 Hz). Box volumes required in the table bottom right, speaker info bottom left.

dave
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:49 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Simulation of the sealed box response with Qs of 0.5, 0.58, 0.707, 1.0 (bottom to top at 150 Hz). Box volumes required in the table bottom right, speaker info bottom left.

dave
That helps. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:00 PM   #130
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophil View Post
2. Can the response provided here be assumed to follow for cabinets of different (e.g. larger) volumes, or only for the volume specified? What would happen if the 10p was placed in a larger volume, or is the specified volume presumed to be ideal for the 10p in a sealed enclosure?
Box volume scales as Q decreases. Practical alignments are usually between 0.58 and 0.707, 0.5 and 1.0 represent the max & min size volumes that one would use. Adding damping (to a certain point) decrease the system Q (ie increase the apparant size of the box)

Quote:
3. Lastly, to put my ignorance fully on display here, why does the graph show four sets of lines (four black, four yellow, and so on)? Is this supposed to represent a range of likely results (almost like a probabilistic range) or is it something simpler and more mundane?
Scales are on the right (and left for phase) of the chart, legend below the scale (Excursion/Delay/Impedance). Note that the phase scale has been cut off the !10p)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!