diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Extent of damage to audio drivers? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/234322-extent-damage-audio-drivers.html)

limyang 17th April 2013 12:04 PM

Extent of damage to audio drivers?

3 Attachment(s)
Over the past 3 months of building the Mar-Ken 7.3, I have been painstakingly careful not to touch the cone of my Alpair 7.3

However, just when I finished them, I accidentally gave one of the drivers a hard prod while adjusting the speaker's position ):

As far as I can tell, I do not hear anything wrong with the damaged speaker (it sounds wonderful). Could anyone advice me as to the extent of damage done? Will audio quality be affected?

chrisb 17th April 2013 05:22 PM

No doubt high resolution testing of some sort would display some issues with performance compared to undamaged unit, but to paraphrase an old Linn Audio slogan "if it sounds good (to you), it is" . Whatever you do, don't try to repair the damage.

disclaimer, this opinion is not sanctioned by mr Fenlon - the real expert on the matter ;)

markaudio 17th April 2013 10:58 PM

Hello Limyang,
Looking at your pics, the driver's cone is in tact, the damage isn't likely to effect its output. I have many drivers from lab tests looking much worse yet still operating close or on specification.

You could leave the cone as it is, or very gently,using your index finger, try to smooth out the creases. This is done using your finger nail (make sure your nail is smooth) and very gently rubbing the rear of the cone along the crease lines. I'm expert at this method. It does require care and takes some practice.

Your choice

Cheers
Mark.

soundnovice 18th April 2013 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
something similar happened when neighbor kid could not control his curiosity!
you can see a slight damage on the rubber periphery on top
Attachment 343251

Cal Weldon 18th April 2013 04:31 AM

Dear Lim Yang,
Please send your drivers to me before they cause damage to any other part of your system. We offer this service free of charge.

Soundnovice,
this applies to you as well. There's no telling what a bad surround can do to the rest of the system.

We do this from of the goodness of our heart, We have no affiliation with Mark but the idea of slightly blemished drivers at no cost is acceptable to our corporate structure. We have a 24hr. email account so we are looking forward to your correspondence.

Signed: Your Local Speaker Adoption Society - "Where we give all drivers a second chance." :)

chrisb 18th April 2013 05:04 AM

mr yang:

mr weldon is generally, and specifically in this case, not to be taken completely seriously ;)

all kidding aside, it's probably fine - if it don't sound broke, maybe it's not

non sequitur alert:

damn, I don't quite forgive her not allowing for that cheeseburger

soundnovice 18th April 2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 3458812)
Dear Lim Yang,
Please send your drivers to me before they cause damage to any other part of your system. I offer this service free of charge.

Soundnovice,
this applies to you as well. There's no telling what a bad surround can do to the rest of the system.

I do this from of the goodness of my heart, I have no affiliation with Mark but the idea of slightly blemished drivers at no cost is acceptable. I have a 24hr. email account ready and waiting so I'm looking forward to your correspondence.

Signed: Your Local Speaker Adoption Society - "Where we give all drivers a second chance." :)

thanks for the generous offer Mr.Weldon. two way shipping cost from India to Canada will be so much, I would get another pair at almost the same price!

Cal Weldon 18th April 2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 3458830)
I don't quite forgive her not allowing for that cheeseburger

We had a chance, I hope it's not lost. Put Sue back on the line.

I promise to let you and Hanh talk for the same amount of time. Wait...we are getting off topic.

Either you convince these gentlemen they are able to salvage the atrocities suffered by their drivers or we're back to no charge appropriation at Chez Weldon.

Cal Weldon 18th April 2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundnovice (Post 3458837)
I would get another pair at almost the same price!

Gosh darn it soundnovice, I don't think we should let expense get in the way. Those drivers deserve a good home, I hope you understand that it's not about the money. Chez Weldon offers a comfort zone that drivers rarely experience in other environments. They we will among others of their kind, where they can spend days of leisure right next to those who have earned their place. No pressures like their PA brother and sisters, no hard work schedule, never too hot, too cold, no, just nice climate controlled environments.

soundnovice 18th April 2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 3458858)
Gosh darn it soundnovice, I don't think we should let expense get in the way. Those drivers deserve a good home, I hope you understand that it's not about the money. Chez Weldon offers a comfort zone that drivers rarely experience in other environments. They we will among others of their kind, where they can spend days of leisure right next to those who have earned their place. No pressures like their PA brother and sisters, no hard work schedule, never too hot, too cold, no, just nice climate controlled environments.

now i am sure you are kidding!
:D