Extent of damage to audio drivers? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 24th April 2013, 02:35 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Your speakers were the inspiration. I hardly need another set of speakers but these were tempty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11opas View Post
Great choice!
Old 24th April 2013, 06:06 PM   #32
11opas is offline 11opas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well thank you for the nice words... I love mine and couldn't be happier with them.. I finally finished my new subs and will post some pics soon....
Old 17th July 2013, 12:06 PM   #33
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Late to the thread, but another vote for a grill.
I know you have technical and personal reasons for insisting on "lids" Mark, but a cover might as well be made of mesh than perspex and serve the same purpose, as well as serving as a way to listen non-seriously while kids are in the room (or not listening while kids are in the room alone).
A light plastic frame and a flat fine mesh, attached with magnets would serve the purpose perfectly.
If you don't make them people will just do them on their own, I know I have, but not as good looking and style matching as you could.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:59 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

My listening time requires absolutely no protection for my speakers, I'm alone. For the rest of the time the drivers need protection, like a door that comes with a lock!

I have two young children and experience has shown me that nothing is sacred, nothing is predictable.

A removable cover, now that's something I would pay for.
Old 31st July 2013, 05:26 AM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
My listening time requires absolutely no protection for my speakers, I'm alone. For the rest of the time the drivers need protection, like a door that comes with a lock!

I have two young children and experience has shown me that nothing is sacred, nothing is predictable.

A removable cover, now that's something I would pay for.

well, no, the children are sacred (until puberty ), and while their propensity for chaos is certainly predictable, the manner in which it's manifested definitely is not

geeze, I wonder if my mom still feels the same way 60yr later
Old 31st July 2013, 02:20 PM   #36
bocosb is offline bocosb  Romania
diyAudio Member

This was done by my cat 2 months ago.. the cone it's ok, i can't hear any difference in sound, could this present any problem in the future?

Right now i have airplane scale models placed on each speaker so the little beast doesn't have a place to jump up (maybe also a metaphor about the music flying you up in the sky? )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alp7.jpg (708.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 1st August 2013, 02:59 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
The debate over grills has come up several times over the years.

I did in fact produce nice looking perspex covers years back. Designed to be applied when the the system wasn't in use, they attached magnetically via Neo magnets that positioned over the Hex mounting screws. The design I thought was good but they didn't catch on.

Re grills, should they remain attached during system operation, they undo all our driver design efforts by interfering with the power-train's dispersion. Having damaged a cone or 2 at home while cleaning over the years, I naturally sympathise with the protection issue, but I won't get involved in grills as they mess up driver emittance.

Personally I thought my cover idea was good. For re-introduction, it needs positive support from a good number of members to make production viable. If we see more than 40 posts in "real" support of the covers and the dealers are convinced, maybe we could re-introduce them.

Thanks
Mark.
I to will need covers or grills for my newly built speakers,or they will not be able to go to there new home in our living room, im sure it will only take about 30 seconds for my grandson who lives across the street and visits daily to find, check out and destroy one of the10.3m drivers

Last edited by paul burchell; 1st August 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 6th August 2013, 09:39 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Has anybody actually tested the response and dispersion of speakers with and without different forms of grilles, such as proper cloth on a frame, perforated metal, or wire guard (Boxer fan finger guard)?
I don't need to see the cones move to hear the sound, and some protection can save the speakers from accidental damage.
I don't want another MDF / Plywood type argument, just some information.
Old 7th August 2013, 04:50 PM   #39
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave Rosgaard took such measures of a small TMM system ( CHBW70 & ERT26) for Bob Reimer ( CSS)

certainly some effect can be noted, which no doubt "grilles" could be designed to minimize

but of course the real argument will be the subjective "how much of that can you actually hear"? - such as - please use all the same colours of twisted pairs extracted from CAT5 network cable in any give pair of speakers, because of the slight difference in twist rates - really?

Let's be honest, short of a perfed or screen metal grille, the only protection that a cloth grille will provide to inquisitive fingers is that of being out of sight - and for some folks there's the WAF of -"if it's in my space, dear, I don't want to see any cones"
Attached Images
File Type: gif TMM_grill.gif (28.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by chrisb; 7th August 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:14 PM   #40
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a foam "lens", concave to encourage dispersion, and with a few threads of metal wire behind it to stiffen it a bit. And of course magnets to attach to the screws.
Could be made cheaply in a variety of colours and have very little negative impact on the sound.

This would be light, easy to put on and take off and would prevent accidents and inquisitive fingers.
But of course in the end not real malice, child or grownup.
From a certain point on the responsibility if with the grownup for the upbringing.

Last edited by Squeak; 7th August 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!