Extent of damage to audio drivers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th April 2013, 05:56 AM   #11
neoinc is offline neoinc  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Since we are in this,

I almost went crazy when friend's kid decided to leave her mark on my Alapir10 MAOP this week.

I do not know how to get it out now. The force must be quite hard to push it in. Heart breaking sight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130417_202623.jpg (308.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 18th April 2013, 04:54 PM   #12
11opas is offline 11opas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wish they were designed with dedicated grills....Can look really classy. Check Accuton drivers.... Would avoid a lot of headaches....
Old 18th April 2013, 05:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11opas View Post
Wish they were designed with dedicated grills....Can look really classy. Check Accuton drivers.... Would avoid a lot of headaches....
+1
Old 18th April 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

it would be great if Mark could also provide matching grills for alpairs (ofcourse at an extra cost)
Old 18th April 2013, 09:59 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mark: no doubt you're monitoring this thread?

With the new modular architecture which I think we'll first see in the A8, could a light mesh grille be incorporated into optional extra bezel ring?

I certainly agree that with very low production volume drivers such as the MAOPs, one can't be too careful. I won't reveal the landed cost on my 7s, but suffice to say that with airfreight, duty, brokerage and "consumption taxes" it was more than 3 times the going retail for Alpair7.3 .

BTW, if not already mentioned, note that Madisound is currently clearing remaining stock of A7.3 ( ie. minus the drive train arrestors) for $65 ea - their site's not clear on inventory level, but they might not last long at that price.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:08 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
The debate over grills has come up several times over the years.

I did in fact produce nice looking perspex covers years back. Designed to be applied when the the system wasn't in use, they attached magnetically via Neo magnets that positioned over the Hex mounting screws. The design I thought was good but they didn't catch on.

Re grills, should they remain attached during system operation, they undo all our driver design efforts by interfering with the power-train's dispersion. Having damaged a cone or 2 at home while cleaning over the years, I naturally sympathise with the protection issue, but I won't get involved in grills as they mess up driver emittance.

Personally I thought my cover idea was good. For re-introduction, it needs positive support from a good number of members to make production viable. If we see more than 40 posts in "real" support of the covers and the dealers are convinced, maybe we could re-introduce them.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 20th April 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:18 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoinc View Post
Since we are in this,

I almost went crazy when friend's kid decided to leave her mark on my Alapir10 MAOP this week.

I do not know how to get it out now. The force must be quite hard to push it in. Heart breaking sight...
Hello Neo, Guys,

Usually this is easy to fix. Get your vacuum cleaner, attach a soft round small nossle, turn the vac on to a low suction setting (if available) and gently apply to the duct cap. I've pulled out loads of dust caps this way (paper and metal).

Remember to be gentle when touching the cap with the nossle.

Cheers
Mark.

Neo: Hope we can get together for the shows in Singapore! I'm gradully getting my strength back and providing I get an "all clear" (no returning cancer) from medical tests this July, I should be OK to work outside HK/South China.

Last edited by markaudio; 20th April 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:58 AM   #18
smf is offline smf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mark - I'd be interested in the cover for my 7.3s please.

Off topic slightly: I've some old compression drivers with damaged metal diaphragms (which I can't replace) and will try your fingernail trick - gently of course! So thanks for that. Would you recommend anything else to, say, stiffen the diaphragms?

Thanks

Stephen
Old 20th April 2013, 10:52 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smf View Post
Mark - I'd be interested in the cover for my 7.3s please.

Off topic slightly: I've some old compression drivers with damaged metal diaphragms (which I can't replace) and will try your fingernail trick - gently of course! So thanks for that. Would you recommend anything else to, say, stiffen the diaphragms?

Thanks

Stephen
Hi Stephen,
Thats a vote for covers - thanks.

Re your compression drivers. Much depends on their alloy grade. Try my smoothing method but take extra care, don't rush the process. I doubt there's anything to be done in the way of stiffening. If your compression drivers are old, I doubt they used current aero-space grade material. Best to contact their maker (if still in business) for repair advice.

Thx
Mark.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I always said these guys had the right idea...

...and yes, I do know anteaters use their tongue to lap up ants rather than slucking them like a Hoover / Dyson / generic vacuum. But I like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anteat004-004.jpg (57.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 20th April 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!