MA 12.2P Pensil observation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th April 2013, 03:42 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I use the miniDSP when I am bi-amping, and it does a very good job for what it is. However, ADC is only running at 48kHz, and the chip is getting long in the tooth. I am wondering if this will fit with the mystic of the 300B. On the other hand, the mystic of the 300B and any other SE amps is in the coloration that they provide. so I have most likely wasted a post and said noting.

Bob
Good to hear from you Bob, comments in your post are interesting. Your thinking is much welcomed.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 6th April 2013, 03:48 AM   #12
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
- Ozawa san (MJ Audio magazine - Japan) wants me to try an all Japan 2a3 amp soon as possible. Could be interesting. -
Cheers
Mark.
Oh please say it's a Kondo Audio Note Souga!
Old 6th April 2013, 05:32 AM   #13
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Mp, (Guys)
I'm keen to expand my amp collection. Could you post more details and your thinking/experiences on the 45 Tube amp? Would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mark.
I'm running the 45 tube in a Fi 2A3 which isn't entirely optimized for the 45, it requires swapping the 5V4GA rectifier tube used with the 2A3's for a 5Y3WGTA. At some point i'll either change the output transformers from the Magnequest 2.5K DS-025 to 5K DS-050 and the other minor change for it to specifically run 45's or i'll get another amp.
I don't listen at high realistic concert levels, prefer ~80db so i'm not running into to much compression and dynamic contrast is ok with most music. They do run out of steam with more complex demanding material. So far thats been easily dealt with by lowering the gain or putting the 2A3's back in the amp. For me the Bass is better then with the 2A3's in the amp.
I have yet to build a proper box, presently can't make up my mind on a standard pencil. Been using the 12P's retrofit to a second set of EPI 100 sealed box's that were collecting dust. Glued multiple strips of dense styrofoam to the inside with rubber cement to bring the ~23L box down to ~16.5L. Turned the tweeter cutout into a port tuned to ~55hz, roughly the same as the moose-box just different proportions. Lined them as best as i could given limited access with home depot denim insulation. Remarkably good for what it is, no doubt due to the quality of the 12P's.
I'm sure building the actual moose-box would be a improvement, at the time i wasn't physically up to it, seemed easier to do the retrofit. Please don't request pix, lets just say the don't sound anything like they look and leave it at that, although if any of you are in Philly you're welcome to stop by to hear them.
Anyway it's difficult to say if the bass is satisfying because of the higher tuning Fq. cut off, prob won't know till i build a bigger box. Once i had recovered enough from my latest injury i found myself too busy chasing blizzards to get around to it. Now that we're back in the 60's, i'm feeling more motivated to cut some wood, hitting 70F Monday!
I have enough space for the super pencil. Have read of slightly better BSC with the standard and i think something about a more even Fq resp over the usable bandwidth, so leaning toward the standard. Not sure whats going on with Bob B's ML-TL or the floor standing vented box Toppsy was building for someone, no follow ups. I'd think both would be similar enough to the standard Pencil in performance, idk??
Old 6th April 2013, 01:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi all, my observation was meant to point out the shortcomings of my amp choice and what I consider to be the beauty of the 12.2p speaker. I don't have a lot of experience in this field and consider myself to be at the start of a long journey but I am amazed at what a single speaker in a well designed cabinet can do. A couple of years ago I would not have believed such a beautiful and full sound could come from what I have thought of as being a small driver. Why i am getting such poor bass response from my tube amps is obviously going to take time and money to figure out but for now I am enjoying immensely the music from great speakers and a truly pedestrian home theatre amp. Go figure. I guess I need a couple of thousand dollars in output transformers to see what the SE 300b design can really do! The meantime I will try the minidsp approach. I suppose I could try 300b in push-pull configuration....

Very thankful for the MarkAudio team,
John
Old 6th April 2013, 09:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Smile Amplifiers for Alp12P...

Hi all.

I use mine Alp12P in my own version of the Onken-like boxes - and it is so fullbodied and tonally rich - because I use my self-made SIT amplifier. It is buildt from the inspiration from Michael Rothacher and the Nelson Pass forum. It is two mono 1 stage NonFeedback transistor(Sony 2SK82)based design. In sound it is more like a Triode Vacuum Amplifier - but more distinct and clear. It should give around 2x8 watt - and that is just perfect here in my sound-chamber.

I am VERY satisfied with this configuration - and will suggest more people to try a SIT amplifier!

Best

Olav
Old 6th April 2013, 09:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootboots View Post
I guess I need a couple of thousand dollars in output transformers to see what the SE 300b design can really do!
Shouldn't be necessary to spend big bucks on OPT's just to get low bass. What are you using in the 300b monoblocks now? Assuming you built the regular Pencil (not the Super Pencil) might be why you're not getting really low bass output without EQ.

jeff
Old 6th April 2013, 10:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I am using Hammond 1628SEA outputs. The weigh 11lbs each and they were cheap here in Canada. I may save up my empties for a pair of Elektra-Prints.

JP
Old 6th April 2013, 10:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am using Hammond 1628SEA outputs
That's a 30 watt trans with a 20-20kHz rating, so not sure this is transformer related.

Quote:
I may save up my empties for a pair of Elektra-Prints.
Maybe save up for some powered subs.

jeff
Old 7th April 2013, 12:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

It may very well be that I like exaggerated bass. Up to now I hadn't thought about it. I probably need to get out more...

JP
Old 8th April 2013, 02:23 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I also have a Sony home theater receiver (STR DE835, one of the last ones with a phono input) and the analog inputs have weak bass and poor imaging due to small electrolytic coupling caps, electronic switches, and cheap op-amps in the signal path. The sound quality is much better using the digital inputs. Just put your CD in the DVD player if it has digital sound output.
In my receiver, the absolute best sound comes from using the LF and RF discrete 5.1 analog inputs! These inputs are just before the volume control, and bypass all the opamps, selector chips, coupling caps, tone controls, and surround decoders. You lose your tone control with these inputs, but I don't need to boost the bass when using them. It's almost an audiophile sound from an old Sony receiver.
Let me know if these tips give better sound with your 12P Pensils. I built some CHR70 Frugalhorns, but those sound better on a friend's tube amp than they do on my transistor receiver.

Hide this!Advertise here!