Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th April 2013, 06:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10 Generation 3 - metal cone

Hello Fellas,
As many of you know, I've had a health challenge these last 3 months and encouragingly, I continue to improve. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank again all those members who've encouraged me and the factory team to keep going. Your encouragement and support worked wonders, as I'm happy to announce the impending launch of the Alpair 10 Generation 3 driver. This new model should first become available in the next 2 to 3 months at Madisound for N. America and the major dealers in Tokyo and Osaka Japan.

Feedback on Gen. 2
I've followed the various feedback over recent times re the Gen 2 model, much of it good while I understood some criticism of its 3 dimensional imaging, especially in the high range when compared to its smaller sibling the Alpair 7. With much effort and support from Evan Yu, Norio Nakajima San and several of the local Diy fellas in Hong Kong, keeping me focused while in my hospital bed, we came up with the 2 major mods to improve driver performance.

Changes:
1 - A re-designed coil with an ultra thin body (Ali-magnesium alloy mix). Evan worked hard to get this coil working well, making it stable under load while shaving off 50% of its original design mass. The new coil is expected to weigh 2g to 2.2g, the old unit weighed 3.9g. Evan has 1 more coil mod to test. I'm more than happy to give him leeway to test the PP-type 2 coil, we might squeak a touch more performance yet from this new component. I'll publish new data if we see further gains.

2 - A re-design on the cone neck and its first 2 radii. These changes further improve the dispersion patten and allows for a better joint between coil and cone. The tricky bit was the re-working of the cone design formulas to improve dispersion across its substrate while maintaining rigidity and flex ratio. The Alpair 10 cone is largest ultra thin cone we make and its the most difficult to produce.

Outcome:
Its always been my desire to get the Alpair 10 past the usable 20kHz threshold. Finally, thanks mostly to Evan and his coil team, this goal is achieved. The new unit goes to a usable 25kHz (85db) and gains around 1dB in overall SPL. The main gain is the lift in the high range and also the slightly flatter impedance response could be welcomed by many tube amp users.

We maintained our purist goal as this driver remains a single cone design (no whizzers, phase plugs etc). For those who like the Alpair 7 and wanted to see a bigger version of it, this new 10 is now effectively its big brother.

It will be interesting to see what you all think about the effort to improve this driver and its gains. Your influence is helping to push the design of this family of drivers forward.

T/S from the average driver of 5 test units.
Revc= 7.200 Ohm
Fo= 38.266 Hz
Sd= 8.825K mm2
Vas= 26.320 Ltr
Cms= 2.380m M/N
Mmd= 6.792 g
Mms= 7.269 g
BL= 5.772 TM
Qms= 1.930
Qes= 0.378
Qts= 0.316
Levc= 71.379u H
No= 0.378 %
SPLo= 87.988 dB
Xmax = 7.5mm (1 way with Arrestor)
Power = 30 watts nom.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp10G3-thin-coil-monocolour.jpg (55.4 KB, 1209 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10-2-3-comp-fr.jpg (107.7 KB, 1181 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10-2-2-comp-imp.jpg (117.6 KB, 1128 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10-go-Gen2-img1-june2011-sml.jpg (98.7 KB, 1112 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 5th April 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 5th April 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very nice to see the evolution of the driver, and the addition of the Arrestor. Most guys on the forum will never notice it is there but when you make speakers for someone else this precaution is very welcome.
The t/s measurements look very promising. And to further reduce the coil assembly with almost 2g and gain 1dB must be a triumph.

Rik
Old 5th April 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nice job.

I've just completed working up the Pensil 10.3 cabinet; hopefully it should be drawn up in the next few days.
Old 5th April 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm pleased to learn this driver is about to be released.
I've enjoyed the 10.2's for a couple years now. The noted increase in treble performance combined with a higher sens. will make these something to look forward to.
Don
Old 5th April 2013, 10:15 PM   #5
eladmi is offline eladmi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark

Really good work. I am looking fortward for the first reviews/listening experiences. You emphasized 'metal cone'. Will there be a paper version as well?

Cheers
Old 5th April 2013, 10:43 PM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Impressive work as usual, kudos to you and the team. Thanks for sharing some details of the journey, and from your post looks it has the makings of a winner. I haven't heard any of the Alpair 10s yet, but the Alp 10.2 had a great reputation among DIY aficionados.

If this driver can approach the Alp 7.3 in refinement and clarity, coupled with the low end heft the Alp 10.2 is well known for, this can quickly become the driver of choice for many.

Take care and keep the updates coming !

Cheers,
Zia
Old 5th April 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eladmi View Post
Hi Mark

Really good work. I am looking fortward for the first reviews/listening experiences. You emphasized 'metal cone'. Will there be a paper version as well?

Cheers
Hi Eladmi,
You read my mind, yes a 10P is also being developed. I hope it will be ready in the coming weeks. It will be a different animal to the 10 Gen. 3. metal.

The emphasis on this deign will be efficiency while maintaining wide bandwidth. We hope to reach an SPL of 90dB. Those members with small power amplification will I think take a keen interest in this driver, it will be Very Purist. The demand for this driver is coming from Japan.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

Impressive work as usual, kudos to you and the team. Thanks for sharing some details of the journey, and from your post looks it has the makings of a winner. I haven't heard any of the Alpair 10s yet, but the Alp 10.2 had a great reputation among DIY aficionados.

If this driver can approach the Alp 7.3 in refinement and clarity, coupled with the low end heft the Alp 10.2 is well known for, this can quickly become the driver of choice for many.

Take care and keep the updates coming !

Cheers,
Zia
Hello Zia,
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well for you.
Glad you share an interest in the making of Markaudio drivers. I believe its morally right to let members know about the efforts of the team behind the Markaudio brand. I'm only 1 man and couldn't achieve these results by myself.

Many members (including yourself) have their thinking and influence in these drivers. Their (your) comments and feedback are incorporated in the development of the Markaudio family of drivers.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:44 AM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

The relationship you have built with the DIY community is unique. We really appreciate you taking our feedback and putting that back into product development. The results are there to show!

- Zia
Old 7th April 2013, 02:32 AM   #10
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like a dream come true driver. No more need to feel torn between 7.3 or 10.2! And the arrestor will save me from my occasional volume cranking indiscretions.

Hide this!Advertise here!