Alpair 10 Generation 3 - metal cone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th April 2013, 03:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update! Is there a suggested U.S. retail price, yet?
Old 9th April 2013, 12:49 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Form Factor?

Looks very interesting! I know it's still in development but will the 10.3 and 10P be the same form factor (cutout and mounting depth wise) as the 10.2?

Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 03:10 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Thanks for the update! Is there a suggested U.S. retail price, yet?
Hi Silver, Guys,
For the Alpair 10 Gen. 3, no price changes on our supply side from the old model. Brian, Adam and the Madisound sales team can advise you more on the retails as there might be cost variations on their transportation and logistics. I'm confident any price change would be modest.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 9th April 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 9th April 2013, 03:12 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealanlee View Post
Looks very interesting! I know it's still in development but will the 10.3 and 10P be the same form factor (cutout and mounting depth wise) as the 10.2?

Thanks
Hi Mike, Guys,
The new coming Alpair 10P will be based on the same platform as its metal cone brother, so use the existing frame dimensions.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 9th April 2013, 06:21 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Mike, Guys,
The new coming Alpair 10P will be based on the same platform as its metal cone brother, so use the existing frame dimensions.

Thanks
Mark.

Is it my imagination, or did you post a photo of an early proto of this driver a while ago?

Of course unless it varies wildly from the now familiar architecture, there'd probably not be much difference to be noted in a wide shot from current 10.2 or 3?

Glad to have you back contributing regularly
Old 9th April 2013, 06:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I asked Mark about this when he posted. I think you might be surprised...
Old 9th April 2013, 07:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Very nice work. Thanks to Mark and his team for continued innovation/refinement and for engaging the DIY community.

Very glad to hear you are doing so well, Mark!

I'll be saving up to buy a pair of these as soon as they are available! I was thinking about buying a second pair of 10.2, but not much point in that now.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Just saw this now and it looks on paper a very different driver to the gen 2 - smaller box volume, higher sensitivity and f3 higher up than the current one. Wd I be right in saying this is designed to be more commercially/OEM friendly?
Old 15th April 2013, 11:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Just saw this now and it looks on paper a very different driver to the gen 2 - smaller box volume, higher sensitivity and f3 higher up than the current one. Wd I be right in saying this is designed to be more commercially/OEM friendly?
Hello Bill,
You've surprised me with your thinking.

With a Vas of +26 litres and Qts that will average around 0.32, the Gen. 3 will happily operate in vented boxes from 10 litres to 20 litres depending on design priorities, F3's from low 40's to low 50's will be achievable on most projects, excellent for a driver of this moderate size, by no means a very different change as you suggest.

Evan and me retained the driver's main sound characteristics. It remains a "smooth" sounding driver and by re-design, improved its efficiency and HF output, thus addressing the bulk of member feedback.

No commercial OEM maker/brand that I know (I know a good many) and that I'm currently working with has asked for the same priorities. Their priorities rarely centre on increased bandwidth and/or efficiency.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th April 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

by no means a criticism, quite the opposite - its a perfect full range driver in many ways, v versatile

Last edited by Bill poster; 15th April 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!