Alpair 10 Generation 3 - metal cone - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th July 2013, 11:26 AM   #91
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

the latest couple of years' series of Marantz are worth a look as well

Mid lat month I visited daughter and SIL in Bermuda and helped with the initial rough set up of a SR7005 - helluva nice rig - I found it cosmetically more appealing than the "comparable" Denons, Onkyos, or Anthems

now, I don't know that I'd describe any 7.1 (or whatever's next after 9.2?) surround system device as "intuitively user friendly" but the software in these things makes the simple set ups almost easy enough for a 60yr old fart to manage - but push one wrong of the over 50 buttons , some of which toggle through half a dozen or so options, or fall into the rabbit hole of 6 or 7 layers deep of on-screen menus, and gosh, once could have a senior's moment
Old 15th July 2013, 03:45 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Just bought my son a Denon AVR-X4000. Has a guided setup mode that's pretty simple. I just upgraded my Per-Pro to a Marantz AV7005 which was fairly straightforward but not as "simple" as the Denon. In retrospect, the Denon feature set is a bit more complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
the latest couple of years' series of Marantz are worth a look as well

Mid lat month I visited daughter and SIL in Bermuda and helped with the initial rough set up of a SR7005 - helluva nice rig - I found it cosmetically more appealing than the "comparable" Denons, Onkyos, or Anthems

now, I don't know that I'd describe any 7.1 (or whatever's next after 9.2?) surround system device as "intuitively user friendly" but the software in these things makes the simple set ups almost easy enough for a 60yr old fart to manage - but push one wrong of the over 50 buttons , some of which toggle through half a dozen or so options, or fall into the rabbit hole of 6 or 7 layers deep of on-screen menus, and gosh, once could have a senior's moment
Old 15th July 2013, 05:11 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

I certainly found the Marantz's set up far more "old fart" user friendly - and with some very nice features that my 3yr old AVR1610 lack - particularly the ability to assign one pair of the amp channels to passively bi-amp front mains. - which is exactly what we did with Reid & Jen's system ( vintage B&W towers). It worked so seamlessly that compared to the quirks with navigating the Denon's UI, at first I wasn't sure I got it right - was expecting something to be off the first time around.

OT - one thing for sure is that after calibrating all the Audyssey settings (such a breeze now!), you discover the incredible range of soundtrack mixing aesthetics; one evening we watched Baz Luhrman's "Moulin Rouge" - now there's a riotous explosion of saturated color an overblown sonic effects, and it certainly tests a system's intelligibility of vocalizations - followed by Dave Grohl's quite cool and passionate documentary "Sound City". Anyone with a week spot for the mid to late seventies rock and even early punk should watch this homage to the grubby little hole in the wall studio in Van Nuys and more particularly to the dumb luck of getting a room to sound "perfect" for recording drums and the "magic" of the Neve analog console.
Old 15th July 2013, 06:20 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Anyone with a week spot for the mid to late seventies rock and even early punk should watch this homage to the grubby little hole in the wall studio in Van Nuys and more particularly to the dumb luck of getting a room to sound "perfect" for recording drums and the "magic" of the Neve analog console.
+1

jeff
Old 31st July 2013, 03:24 PM   #95
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default wood width of Scott's Bookshelf 10.3m

Hi Scott,
Could half inch birch ply be used for your bookshelf BR 10.3m design (post 70 on this thread) if no bracing will be used, or would you instead recommend 3/4"? Thanks,
Mario
Old 31st July 2013, 05:54 PM   #96
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I would say that 1/2"with bracing would be better than 3/4" without.

dave
Old 31st July 2013, 06:03 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I would say that 1/2"with bracing would be better than 3/4" without.

dave
+2
Old 31st July 2013, 06:51 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Thanks Gents....so "use bracing" regardless of wood thickness is coming in loud and clear. Finally, 3/4" with bracing also better than 1/2" with bracing?
Old 31st July 2013, 07:24 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
Thanks Gents....so "use bracing" regardless of wood thickness is coming in loud and clear. Finally, 3/4" with bracing also better than 1/2" with bracing?

To be honest, we settled on 15mm (nominal 5/8") BB or "domestic"* Apple ply a few years ago for most of our builds, and with strategic bracing have generally found it sufficiently rigid. But if you really want the extra integrity and mass, there's no reason not to use 18mm/3/4" (it's still lighter than M / HDF)

Mark Audio drivers have thicker frames than many other brands/models in a given size, and do present some concerns with sufficient core thickness for fasteners once rebated for flush mounting - I use at least 18mm (sometimes 15+9) for the baffles.

If using 1/2" ply, I'd double up on the front baffle, and be sure to relieve the rear side of driver opening with a chamfer / roundover, scalloped to leave full thickness "pads" for the mounting screws.

*domestic in the sense that often the 4x8 multi-ply platform core is imported from Europe, with only an optional calibration thickness sanding of core and application of face veneers applied in North America - this information from 2 independent trusted sources.
Old 31st July 2013, 07:52 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

I'll go with 3/4" as the baffle needs more than 1/2" anyway....thanks
Regards,
Mario

Hide this!Advertise here!