Erich Hartmenn (or similar) cabinet for 7.3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 19th March 2013, 12:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Erich Hartmenn (or similar) cabinet for 7.3

Was wondering if there was a cabinet design available for the A7.3 that is similar to the one from Erich Hartmann for the 10.2.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's kinda fugly. Wouldn't the A7.3 deserve something a little nicer looking?

jeff
Old 19th March 2013, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Beauty is in the eye of the engineer. Everything is a compromise.

Since there is a [VERY STRONG] strong possibility that the A7.3 will be run "full range" with a [sub]woofer blended in below, I'm looking for a compact enclosure that will provide smooth response. Pencils are just too big for my use and position the driver below where I prefer for the midrange and tweeter. I might consider sealed to protect the driver from over-excursion. That would end up being a pretty small cabinet but might limit mid-bass performance.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:57 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

In my experience, the Alpair 7.3 works very nicely in the P10 Mar-Ken 7.3.

For a simpler build you can opt for the free CGR version Dave has on his site.

The Mar-Ken mid-bass articulation is very good; yes, you will not get the deepest bass, but for that you will be using a sub or helper woofers, right?

Another option can be a folded Half-Tower... Alp 7.3 might work with CHR-70 tuning - Dave can confirm that.
Old 19th March 2013, 05:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i have tried erich's vented box for alpair 10s and i am pretty happy with them. i guess with a proper 'slot port calculator' (google it) you could build similar box for A7.3 also.
Old 19th March 2013, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the engineer. Everything is a compromise.

Since there is a [VERY STRONG] strong possibility that the A7.3 will be run "full range" with a [sub]woofer blended in below, I'm looking for a compact enclosure that will provide smooth response. Pencils are just too big for my use and position the driver below where I prefer for the midrange and tweeter. I might consider sealed to protect the driver from over-excursion. That would end up being a pretty small cabinet but might limit mid-bass performance.
which sub you are planning? and at what xover point?
Old 19th March 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
which sub you are planning? and at what xover point?
I have a couple of options. I have a pair of Lambda SB12s and also a pair of ScanSpeak 25W8565s. The SB12s are in a 3.5 cu ft enclosure. Don't have an enclosure for the SS drivers, yet.

I can cross over at pretty much any frequency I want. My method will probably be to measure and listen to the Alpairs full range, then add bass reinforcement below the point of driver rolloff or maybe a little higher to help limit cone movement (series cap).
Old 19th March 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I made sealed box for the 7.3 with subs. I really think it is an option to consider. Relatively simple projet and the 7.3 behave really well in a sealed box. They sound great and their excursion is well controled. Of course, they need assistance from subs.

Here is the topics from my projet :

Sealed or vented for the Alpair 7.3
Old 20th March 2013, 01:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I want to clarify my earlier post. I have two SB12 subwoofer enclosures and plan on a left and right subwoofer speaker. The same arrangement will be used with the ScanSpeak drivers. I'm not a big fan of single subwoofers or subs that are not located very near their respective treble channels.

In any case, the subs will be bi-amped into the system. If I filter the A7.3s (or 10.2s) it will be a first order / single cap in series with the driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!