Another A12P open baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th March 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another A12P open baffle

Here's some photo's of my first open baffle project using A12P supported by 15" Fane Sovereign woofers. Alpairs currently being powered with a HLLY T90 soon to be replaced with a PA0901A from Twin Audio - which will be my first experience of tube sound. Woofers fed by a Crown XLS602, and MiniDSP taking care of the crossover and equalisation. Drivers only have about 50hrs breaking-in so far, but first impressions when I started listening to the finished speakers this weekend were very promising.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (518.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (853.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg photo5.jpg (410.3 KB, 265 views)
Old 5th March 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

They look awesome. Retro and modern all in one. Congrats. Looking forward to your listening impressions after living with it for a while.
Old 5th March 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bas, The photo doesn't do justice to the Tygan fabric grill. The A12Ps do sound very good so far, much smoother than my previous JX92S - with only some harshness on very high female vocals (Kate Bush at her highest!). I'm hoping that is just down to not enough break-in.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
with only some harshness on very high female vocals (Kate Bush at her highest!). I'm hoping that is just down to not enough break-in.
I would suspect your amp here. You'll notice a massive improvement when you get the tube amp.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

well done matt
Old 5th March 2013, 10:14 PM   #6
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Elegant, well executed OB. Nice one and Good on ya!

If you're inclined: experiment with some absorbers behind the speakers if they are in proximity to hard walls.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:26 PM   #7
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice speakers! I am thinking of something similar, do you think Alpha 15 will be much worse as a woofer?
Old 5th March 2013, 10:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello Matt,
Great work, very stylish! Always good to projects like this as they give high-street offerings a run for their expensive money.

You'll need another 150+ hours on the Alp12P's at low vols to get them better run-in. Tony's PA0901A should work well. Its a copy of Derek Shek's excellent Miniwatt. Not sure what Tony's got in amp stock at the moment but I'd be tempted to ask him if there's any nice small vintage tubie amps he could dust off and sell you.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark, maybe you can say couple of words here, what will be a difference between 12P and 10 for this application? Thanks.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Mark, maybe you can say couple of words here, what will be a difference between 12P and 10 for this application? Thanks.
Sure,
From the function perspective:

The 12P has the single mechanical (semi free to air) suspension system which has more progressive load resistance. Its spider does all the mechanical operation of the power-train, the front suspension acting primarily as an air seal and partial damper. This driver's design is well suited to the type(s) of open project application like/similar to Matt's.

The Alp10 Gen. 2 has a long throw linear suspension design better suited to ported/vented and sealed systems. The 10 can be used on open applications but more care is needed to limit/control its LF output.

Should I have time to make an open baffle project, I'd personally use the 12P as my first choice. Re woofers, my choice(s) would be influenced by the design of their power-trains, paying particular attention to the cone's total depth, the number of radii deployed across its surface substrate and its moving mass, see post 120 on this thread:

Future woofer production

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 6th March 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!