Another A12P open baffle - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th March 2013, 11:19 PM   #11
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm not Mark, but I have experimented with both 'open' A10 and A12, but not at the same time like A vs B on same baffle.

In OB you might get 50Hz lower extension from A12 against A10. I think due to the extra Sd of A12. Other than this, the different sonic flavour of either driver will apply.
Either could work, also the A7. I'm not sure you can say one is categorically 'best'. Either driver will have it's strengths &/or trade off against another. My really general advice would be 'the bigger the room, chose the bigger Sd driver'. In a smaller room, more near field the A10 or A7 might work very well also.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:22 PM   #12
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, I see. However, if you have a 15" on the bottom and x-over point at around 200Hz, do you really need that extra 50Hz extension and problem with LF output?
Old 5th March 2013, 11:37 PM   #13
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
do you really need that extra 50Hz extension and problem with LF output?
Technically no, it's only 50Hz. But an A12 pencil will sound a bit different to an A10 pencil. It's the sound of a bigger, paper membrane vs the sound of a smaller, lighter, metal membrane. Having experimented with them both I'd lean towards the A12 in a larger room. Smaller room I'd try the A10 or A7, but all could work.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
Technically no, it's only 50Hz. But an A12 pencil will sound a bit different to an A10 pencil. It's the sound of a bigger, paper membrane vs the sound of a smaller, lighter, metal membrane. Having experimented with them both I'd lean towards the A12 in a larger room. Smaller room I'd try the A10 or A7, but all could work.
Tims's made good practical points.

I'd add by saying the driver's power-train function is important for OB applications as the "free air" environment offers no damping. The 12P would be the more observant choice. I'd still be tempted to use the 12P on smaller(ish) OB projects/rooms as its dispersion pattern and central stereo image are wider than the 10 Gen.2 (cone acreage counts) likely benefitting OB set-ups. Common sense should be applied if your room is "small", down-size the drivers/OB project design.

Thx
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 6th March 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 6th March 2013, 08:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am thinking of something similar, do you think Alpha 15 will be much worse as a woofer?
I deliberately chose active eq and bi-amping so went for a lower Q woofer; the Fane has similar specs to the Beta 15.

Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!