Alpair 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd February 2013, 06:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 8

Hello Chaps,
Getting my second wind today so here goes.

The Alpair 8 driver will hopefully be a complete departure from previous models. This driver is designed to a "system" unit. In future, dealers and end-users will be able with the minimum of skill to:

1 - Swop in/out Power-Trains.
2 - Swop in/out motor sets (magnet/motor sub-assembles).

As you might begin the imagine, the potential permutations for power-train and motor set choice could become user-significant. No more chucking a driver away should the kiddy or cat ding the cone. Just order up a replacement power-train (lets see how many of you remember the components of the power-train).

The picture shows you the primary frame sub-assemblies, including the "clam spider retaining ring". Dreamed this up while recovering from the anaesthetic, that stuff was good! Mr Chui helped along with the rest while in my hospital bed (he's a great guy).

Questions...........go ahead but give me time to answer, I'm not yet firing on all cylinders.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp8-frame.jpg (78.5 KB, 1153 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd February 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
What a great idea!..........extending upon this, couldn't you make the following components " modular" 1) surround, cone, VC 2) spider 3) Motor assys'
The surrounds could be either pleated(variable) half-roll sorex(sp?) or ?
A choice of cone material, VC length
The spiders of variable compliances(An interchangable thin nylon threaded ring at the base of all cones & spiders.
Motors variable in strength(Gauss), and or?

With the basket with your clamping assy for the spyder & some style clamping for the outer edge of the surround?????????? All "standardized"

So very many versions would be possible........testing all the combinations would be sheer fun.????????????

__________________________________________________ __Rick......

Old 23rd February 2013, 08:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Modular = great idea Mark.

@Rick; I suspect this is what Mark ultimately has in mind.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Modular = great idea Mark.
+1.

Mark, great to see this concept getting closer to reality. Tweaker's delight.

Scott - probably more cabinet work for you sir, as driver parameters are likely to change with different components?
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That they will. Not necessarily more work for me, since I can't churn out box design after box design for every possible combination (depends how many options there are); no doubt I'll do a couple for the A8, but realistically, I'll probably have to aim for whatever the default / most popular component combinations turn out to be rather than trying to cover all angles.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
What a great idea!..........extending upon this, couldn't you make the following components " modular" 1) surround, cone, VC 2) spider 3) Motor assys'
The surrounds could be either pleated(variable) half-roll sorex(sp?) or ?
A choice of cone material, VC length
The spiders of variable compliances(An interchangable thin nylon threaded ring at the base of all cones & spiders.
Motors variable in strength(Gauss), and or?

With the basket with your clamping assy for the spyder & some style clamping for the outer edge of the surround?????????? All "standardized"

So very many versions would be possible........testing all the combinations would be sheer fun.????????????

__________________________________________________ __Rick......

Hopefully we'll get more feedback as to what combo's members/diyers would like, (no worries chaps I am improving so please feel free to make comments).

This driver is important, the thinking and sentiment behind this design is to give "you"...the user more choice, more control over the build and help get the sounds that you want.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd February 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 24th February 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mark - glad to have you back

now that this is finally on the table get ready for a flood of advice and requests for cone materials among other things - such a experimenting with different formulations of paper -
Old 24th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

Any idea what sized frame will be used for this? Will it be the same as the Alpair 7? 10? 12?
Old 24th February 2013, 09:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would anticipate none of the above. It's an Alpair 8, so as a matter of extrapolation, the frame dimensions will likely fall somewhere between those of the Alpair 7 and the Alpair 10. The former has a bezel of 135mm with the cover, the latter 165mm, so something around the 150mm point seems probable.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Since you're asking for what people want Mark, here's my initial suggestion: the arrestor should be carried over in the new unit's suspension options if possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!