diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Alpair 8 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/230686-alpair-8-a.html)

markaudio 23rd February 2013 06:31 AM

Alpair 8

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Chaps,
Getting my second wind today so here goes.

The Alpair 8 driver will hopefully be a complete departure from previous models. This driver is designed to a "system" unit. In future, dealers and end-users will be able with the minimum of skill to:

1 - Swop in/out Power-Trains.
2 - Swop in/out motor sets (magnet/motor sub-assembles).

As you might begin the imagine, the potential permutations for power-train and motor set choice could become user-significant. No more chucking a driver away should the kiddy or cat ding the cone. Just order up a replacement power-train (lets see how many of you remember the components of the power-train).

The picture shows you the primary frame sub-assemblies, including the "clam spider retaining ring". Dreamed this up while recovering from the anaesthetic, that stuff was good! Mr Chui helped along with the rest while in my hospital bed (he's a great guy).

Questions...........go ahead but give me time to answer, I'm not yet firing on all cylinders.

Cheers
Mark.

Richard Ellis 23rd February 2013 07:05 AM

What a great idea!..........extending upon this, couldn't you make the following components " modular" 1) surround, cone, VC 2) spider 3) Motor assys'
The surrounds could be either pleated(variable) half-roll sorex(sp?) or ?
A choice of cone material, VC length
The spiders of variable compliances(An interchangable thin nylon threaded ring at the base of all cones & spiders.
Motors variable in strength(Gauss), and or?

With the basket with your clamping assy for the spyder & some style clamping for the outer edge of the surround?????????? All "standardized"

So very many versions would be possible........testing all the combinations would be sheer fun.????????????

__________________________________________________ __Rick......

Scottmoose 23rd February 2013 08:57 AM

Modular = great idea Mark. :)

@Rick; I suspect this is what Mark ultimately has in mind.

zman01 23rd February 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 3382518)
Modular = great idea Mark. :)

+1.

Mark, great to see this concept getting closer to reality. Tweaker's delight. :)

Scott - probably more cabinet work for you sir, as driver parameters are likely to change with different components?

Scottmoose 23rd February 2013 01:02 PM

That they will. Not necessarily more work for me, since I can't churn out box design after box design for every possible combination (depends how many options there are); no doubt I'll do a couple for the A8, but realistically, I'll probably have to aim for whatever the default / most popular component combinations turn out to be rather than trying to cover all angles.

markaudio 23rd February 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Ellis (Post 3382431)
What a great idea!..........extending upon this, couldn't you make the following components " modular" 1) surround, cone, VC 2) spider 3) Motor assys'
The surrounds could be either pleated(variable) half-roll sorex(sp?) or ?
A choice of cone material, VC length
The spiders of variable compliances(An interchangable thin nylon threaded ring at the base of all cones & spiders.
Motors variable in strength(Gauss), and or?

With the basket with your clamping assy for the spyder & some style clamping for the outer edge of the surround?????????? All "standardized"

So very many versions would be possible........testing all the combinations would be sheer fun.????????????

__________________________________________________ __Rick......

Yes Rick, Scott, Zman (Guys)
You've got the idea.

Hopefully we'll get more feedback as to what combo's members/diyers would like, (no worries chaps I am improving so please feel free to make comments).

This driver is important, the thinking and sentiment behind this design is to give "you"...the user more choice, more control over the build and help get the sounds that you want.

Cheers
Mark.

chrisb 24th February 2013 07:22 PM

Mark - glad to have you back

now that this is finally on the table get ready for a flood of advice and requests for cone materials among other things - such a experimenting with different formulations of paper -

Westy37 24th February 2013 09:32 PM

Any idea what sized frame will be used for this? Will it be the same as the Alpair 7? 10? 12?

Scottmoose 24th February 2013 09:36 PM

I would anticipate none of the above. It's an Alpair 8, so as a matter of extrapolation, the frame dimensions will likely fall somewhere between those of the Alpair 7 and the Alpair 10. The former has a bezel of 135mm with the cover, the latter 165mm, so something around the 150mm point seems probable.

Scottmoose 25th February 2013 09:51 AM

Since you're asking for what people want Mark, here's my initial suggestion: the arrestor should be carried over in the new unit's suspension options if possible.