Alpair 8 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 9th January 2014, 11:37 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Throw my name on that beta testers list too .
Old 10th January 2014, 01:14 AM   #42
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Very nice Mark - look forward to updates on development of this one of a kind driver.
Old 10th January 2014, 06:43 AM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

actually, Zia - if I understand all that Mark has projected for this model number, there will be numerous permutations of the Alpair 8 "series"
or maybe that's just late night, ethyl induced wishful thinking

whatever the case - Mark, we look forward to updates, and wish you the best for continued success
Old 10th January 2014, 07:11 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

And for fairness sake some in Europe so put me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th January 2014, 06:21 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

you mean, put your name down on the list?

don't ask to be put down
Old 10th January 2014, 06:46 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I'm used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th February 2014, 05:44 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Mark - any word on progress, or ETA of first batch of protos for us salivating beta-testers?
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:53 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I would be happy to build some enclosures for the A8 if you are not snowed under with offers already
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:03 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

we'll need some final tested T/S parameters for optimization of enclosure volumes and tuning

Mark, am I still on track thinking that a metal would be first off the line?
Old 10th March 2014, 12:48 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Latest Alpair 8 News

Hi Guys,
There's been various developments since I last posted. We're now at the point where the development of the frame is ready to go into mass production.

Take a look at the 2 attached pics. These pics illustrate the final rapid prototype frame assembly. You can observe from the dis-assembled pic there are 3 major components (numbered):

1: Is the front compression cover. This component locks the front of the power-train into position. It uses 4 compression tabs and another 4 screw holes to firmly hold the power-train in place. Once the screws and tabs are released, the cover comes away from the central frame body to allow the driver's power-train to be withdrawn.

2: Is the central frame body. It acts as the main platform for the driver. This component is alignment critical so will be made entirely from aero-space grade mixed carbon and glass-fibre mixes.

3: Motor sub-assembly mounting body. This component mounts the motor (magnet sub assembly. It also mounts the connector modules and acts as the locking mechanism for the rear of the driver's power-train. 4 machined long shaft screws locate through ears on this component into the central frame body. Users removing this component can also swop in-/out a variety of motor sub assemblies.

Now for the nitty-gritty, this design aint cheap to manufacture. I've got to commit US$12,000 in tooling and moulds to make this frame design. Along with all other new tooling and moulds, I'm going to shell out US$32,000 to turn the Alpair 8 from a dream into a reality.

The down-side is retail prices per driver (ready assembled as a Full-Ranger) is going to be around US$200 each. The upside is it opens the way to supply loads or future power train and motor options at a range of prices depending on performance desired. Also, should a cone be accidentally damaged, its easy to replace it and thus save the driver. Customisers also get opportunities to do their "tuning"thing.

There's still allot of work to do convincing dealers that warranty claims aren't going to flow like the Mississippi. I've talked to Diyaudio owner Jason and other leaders on the forums, all feel its worth supporting. It might be a product that is mostly handled by direct sale from Diyaudio given its very "diy" orientated.

So fellas, now is the time to "vote" yes or no. Would you dip your hands in your pockets to the tune of US$400 for a pair of these drivers? Do you want to get your hands on a driver design that you can play with, experiment, swop in/out its guts etc etc.

Tell all your audio friends about this thread, get them to contribute to the vote. Decision time!

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alp8-frame-1a.jpg (108.8 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg alp8-frame-2.jpg (82.9 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 10th March 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!