Alpair 8 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 30th March 2013, 03:40 PM   #21
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Hi Mark, how's your recovery?

Just some thoughts over what you might have already considered in the first place:

1. Modular systems are great, but the connections between removable components are the weak links - after say a couple hundred hours, something might loosen a bit and rattling comes to mind; efficiency will suffer too. Snap-ons are definitely no-nos and screw-ins will do way better, but I would feel more comfortable with some silicone glue applied prior to screwing (which makes replacement harder though); yet can the polymer chassis take that much of pressure - some people have the tendency to over-screw?

2. Ultra-high precision is the key - any slight deviation in alignment of VC and magnetic gap between the pole piece and pole plate can be disastrous. Would a double-spider design help stabilize the coil?

3. Replacing the motor unit only would be highly feasible, but anything more than that, say the complete power trains may prove a bit more difficult to engineer since many parts rely heavily on glues.

4. Would love to see both high Q and low Q motors as options, and shorting rings too (am I asking for too much?)

Cheers,
Boris
Old 30th March 2013, 09:53 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

a 3D printed resin chassis perhaps

different thicknesses of cone, either just to experiment w/ breakup points or offer a higher power version

a thinner chassis 'edge' option (for want of a better phrase)

Last edited by Bill poster; 30th March 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:46 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark, will you be producing any beta versions for say closed testing? I'd be interested if you were.

The sentiment of offering a custom driver is impressive but my concern would be how you get consistent and accurate data for all the possible combinations of components on offer?

IMHO limiting choice is often better. How about making a driver version for specific applications instead, sealed, ported, TL, OB...? You offer relevant choice but not so much it's overwhelming.
Old 31st October 2013, 03:06 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hello Boris, Bill, Smallangryboy, guys

I'm doing sort of OK. Still recovering, boy its taking allot longer than I hoped to get out of the woods. Not sure how much health I'll get back, possibly around 85% or my pre big C'" fitness. All the same, I keep going and now hold down a 60+ hour working week schedule. The doc tells me to rest more but this aint practical. In reality, my future, at this time, remains uncertain, so I want to do as much as I can.

We moved into new workshops, doubling our work-space. I'll be making more of our drivers to keep my hand in artisan practice during the next few months. I need to get myself back into being more "hands on", this way my tweaking instinct will re-sharpen.

Alpair 8 is on the "to do" list along with a load of others:

6.5", 8", 10", 12" and 15" pro-woofs (for guitar and bass guitar amps)+ modded units for you FAST guys

For Japan: 3 new small drivers (lower cost) up to a lick over CHR70/Alp7 size.

For STI (L&I), 7 new products all needing my input.

I promise to do my best. For Alpair 8, please keep suggestions coming (and on woofs) I'm glad of this input.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 31st October 2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 31st October 2013, 09:04 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark, do put aside time to rest. if you ever fancy a break in thailand let me know, the food here is very healthy, the massages and spas are a great way to re energize. I can arrange everything, airport. fasttrack etc
Old 31st October 2013, 09:42 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Hi Mark, do put aside time to rest. if you ever fancy a break in thailand let me know, the food here is very healthy, the massages and spas are a great way to re energize. I can arrange everything, airport. fasttrack etc
Hello Bill,
Very kind offer and very much appreciated. I plan to spend more time meeting members who'd like to say "hello" (hence recent Canada, USA and Japan trips). Thailand is just down the road so to speak. Could we email: support@markaudio.com

Cheers
Mark.
Old 3rd November 2013, 03:38 AM   #27
gassit is offline gassit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Sorry to butt in but is there a newer version of the EL166 on the horizon?

Stay fit and well.
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:12 AM   #28
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassit View Post
Mark,

Sorry to butt in but is there a newer version of the EL166 on the horizon?

Stay fit and well.

not the first time that question's been posed - heck I could live with another stamped metal basket myself

cheers, Mark
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
gassit is offline gassit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Make that eight metal stamped baskets...
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
6.5", 8", 10", 12" and 15" pro-woofs (for guitar and bass guitar amps)+ modded units for you FAST guys

Hide this!Advertise here!