Alpair 8 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th February 2013, 12:24 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

And another one: options for both 8ohm and 4ohm VCs / powertrains.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

And another. No doubt there are some who would like different cone options, e.g. metal and paper.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:08 AM   #13
JohnLL is offline JohnLL  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes paper and bass even at the expense of efficiency. Also nice big BSC frequency response curve like the A10. I would like something that works real near field all by itself.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:09 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Impedance 10-12-16 ohms?

It seems that many small tube amps may be a better match with higher impedances so how about some higher impedance options?
Old 1st March 2013, 05:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrevith View Post
It seems that many small tube amps may be a better match with higher impedances so how about some higher impedance options?
Hi C,
You sure? Please further explain and demonstrate your thinking.

I seem to remember a conversation with Brian Cherry (Diy Hi Fi Supply) some years back where he said lower and flatter driver impedances where a better match for most valve/tube amps.

Granted, my amp knowledge is based mostly on feedback from amp makers and end-users. So I'm open to alternative thinking on this subject

Cheers
Mark.
Old 1st March 2013, 06:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default higher impedance

Sure Mark. I'm not an amp expert, just an audio enthusiast and occasional DIY'er. My comments are based on a discussion with a maker of OTL amps I own who related that there are amps (not just his own) that generate more power and less distortion into higher impedance loads. May be worth while to solicit some input from a few amp makers.
Old 1st March 2013, 07:30 AM   #17
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

I'm no expert here, but I think that OTL amps are a special as they rely on matching the amp's output impedance to the driver's impedance in order to extract maximum power.
As opposed to most other amps that match their OPT to a specific driver impedance.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:08 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
I'm no expert here, but I think that OTL amps are a special as they rely on matching the amp's output impedance to the driver's impedance in order to extract maximum power.
As opposed to most other amps that match their OPT to a specific driver impedance.

well, few drivers (except for some planar types) have impedance graphs that are linear throughout their bandwidth when measured with test tones, so the "matching" between load and output stage is nominal at best

then there's that intimate feedback dance between the two ( I like to think of it as an Argentinian Tango) that happens when you start reproducing complex dynamic waveforms

while we're at it, just as an exercise in consensus building and polite conversation, let's discuss damping factor

no, let's not

that aside, many amplifier designs tend to suffer less distortion into higher impedance loads, even when operating well below maximum output levels
Old 4th March 2013, 11:24 AM   #19
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
while we're at it, just as an exercise in consensus building and polite conversation, let's discuss damping factor

no, let's not
"Consensus building in discussing damping factor", one of audio's biggest oxymorons

Quote:
that aside, many amplifier designs tend to suffer less distortion into higher impedance loads, even when operating well below maximum output levels
thanks for the info
Old 30th March 2013, 01:39 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

This sounds like a perfect size, to me. I cd use a pair of these right now for a current project.

Hide this!Advertise here!