Alpair 7.3 F.A.S.T. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 11th July 2013, 09:17 PM   #11
golfnut is offline golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi All

Having built a set of 7.2 pensils I'm keen to explore as FAST option to fill in the bottom. I've also completed a set of ESLs that bottom out just below 40Hz, and I am amazed how much better the bass is compared to my olf KEFs that bottomed out at 50 Hz. So I've been looking for a 8-10" driver that will have f3 in a closed box (for good group delay) below 40 Hz. So far I have only found one, the Scanspeak 23W4557, which looks very good but is horrifically expensive.

Q1: does anyone know of other smallish woofers with f3 below 40 Hz? I've searched online T&S databases and the Scanspeak driver is a standout.

Q2: Has anyone tried adding mass to a woofer cone, e.g. by adding a metal ring or epoxy near the dustcap. This would lower the fs and enable operation to lower frequencies in closed box. The cost is higher Q of the driver - bigger cabinet volume, and a loss in sensitivity. By my reckoning, adding about 30% extra mass to one of the Dayton 8" drivers would have the desired effect.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:57 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Hi All

Q2: Has anyone tried adding mass to a woofer cone, e.g. by adding a metal ring or epoxy near the dustcap. This would lower the fs and enable operation to lower frequencies in closed box. The cost is higher Q of the driver - bigger cabinet volume, and a loss in sensitivity. By my reckoning, adding about 30% extra mass to one of the Dayton 8" drivers would have the desired effect.
Hi G, Guys,
I'd strongly urge not adding 30% additional mass to a small woof (or any small driver). I'm certain no driver designer will factor-in additional loads of this magnitude into the driver's suspensions. There's a real risk of taking the unit's power-train out of operational alignment, coil rub leading to circuit failure is a possibility. I'm certain most all makers will their void warranties against such modifications.

For further discussion on modifications of this magnitude, please use a forum section like the lounge:

The Lounge - diyAudio

Thanks
Mark.
Old 11th July 2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AP6.2 Gold x Dual DA175 Passive FAST

Here is just a simulation but it looks kinda promising, Parts would cost about $200 +S&H.
4 DA175's should provide plenty of bottom end.
The A6.2MA will be in the Madisound 1.7l chamber and the DA175's would be in 1.8-2cuft shared tuned to 31-33hz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA6.2-Dual DA175 FAST.jpg (182.8 KB, 629 views)
Old 12th July 2013, 01:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am seriously looking at the Dayton RSS315HF-4 in a 50l sealed box. Using a Linkwitz transform or a DSP equivalent, you can get 103dB@30Hz and 97dB@20Hz. This at 250w/ch and not exceeding either Xmax or RMS power limits. The beauty of sealed is that you can run prodigious power through the speaker without worrying about the cabinet unloading.

Bob
Old 27th November 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, sorry to go off topic but what's that software your using for sims Einric?

A friend just gave me 500 bucks and asked me to build her! a set of towers. I'm set on the A7.3 and possibly the SLS 830669. Thinking slim cab with the SLS mounted on the sides.

I am limited to about 150 per driver and local availability for drivers in Melbourne, Aus.

Has/could anybody sim the SLS with the A7.3?

Cheers for any advice.
Dean

Last edited by thunk303; 27th November 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 27th November 2013, 03:35 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Looks like X.Over 3 Pro, possibly with box plot from BassBox 6 spliced in. Both programmes, especially the former, have a dodgy reputation, but they can (can) be quite effective providing you know what you're doing.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Still looking at a FAST system with the A7.3, but finding an appropriate woofer is a bit of a pain... with my various requirements of low f3, ~60L sealed box size etc. the two best fits I've found so far are the Scan Speak 26W/8534G00 and 26W/8861T00. the latter being near 4x the price of the former...

Looking forward to getting this built, but it's turning into a long term project including amps and DPS
Old 28th November 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

take a look at some of Peerless 5.5 - 6.5" such as 830875, etc?

with several different "FAST" projects over the past few years, we've had much more seamless integration with multiples of smaller woofers (such as 4@830870 in dual side mounted push/push configuration in the faceted enclosure below )

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th November 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

What's pictured, is that four per enclosure? With multiple smaller woofers would I need a vented enclosure to get a lower frequency response. Or would I be able to stay sealed and utilise active DSP/PEQ to cut & boost my way there... within reason.

Am looking at peak SPL of 80~85dB, so most of the drivers mentioned will hit well over 90dB with 4~8 Watts.
Old 28th November 2013, 07:35 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildMeSomething View Post
What's pictured, is that four per enclosure?
4 Peerless 830870 4" bass drivers. We had to get Scott to design an ML-V to get the bass enclosure tall enuff to support the co-laterally mounted mid-tweeter to be at a reasonable height. PLLXO 1st order at 240 Hz.

The ML-TL for these bass drivers is used with a pair as a woofT for the uFonkenSET (same XO).

Click the image to open in full size.

These woofers like lots of volume but do dig low in the quarter-wave boxes. When working on our stand-mount MTM i 1st looked at these, but they needed 30 litre BR to match the extention of the 2 Silver Flutes W14 (in 10 litre) we finally settled on.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!