surface mounting 10.2 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st January 2013, 11:06 PM   #31
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Can you use paragraphs? No one is going to read an entire wall of text like that.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hello Chaps,
The doc says rest but its utterly boring. So I'm up and about early this morning.

An interesting thread. Ideally, its is better to flush mount the drivers. I appreciate that for newer members with less wood-working experience and for regular experimenters, surface mounting is a fast easy option. Provided you are prepared to accept the likely acoustic shortfalls already mentioned and don't blame the driver, then its possible to still get a musical outcome. All the same, please try to flush mount when ever possible into baffles between 18mm to 25mm thick (depending on driver size). Remember to flare or angle the baffle hole side wall to help avoid reflections on to the back of the driver's cone.

For those members with limited wood-working equipment, a possible solution is to laminate the front baffle with 2 or 3 thicknesses of wood/ply. 2 sizes of hole will make up a recess and get you on or close to flush mounting. Possibly your local wood merchant/yard could cut the holes for you.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 31st January 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 05:21 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

i am going after CNC solution . its clean and accurate.
below is my intended plan,
wood used is 18mm MDF. make two baffles with 12mm depth stepping(for flush mounting). then join both together back-to-back to increase the mounting baffle thickness to 12mm in total. this way i will get 12mm depth stepping at the back of the baffle which will act as flared(angled) baffle hole. however there will be sharp edges on the backside. i believe sticking foam on the flare edge will avoid the reflections at the back of the cone.
Old 1st February 2013, 07:53 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Take a rasp or file to it if possible.
Old 1st February 2013, 03:14 PM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
i am going after CNC solution . its clean and accurate.
below is my intended plan,
wood used is 18mm MDF. make two baffles with 12mm depth stepping(for flush mounting). then join both together back-to-back to increase the mounting baffle thickness to 12mm in total. this way i will get 12mm depth stepping at the back of the baffle which will act as flared(angled) baffle hole. however there will be sharp edges on the backside. i believe sticking foam on the flare edge will avoid the reflections at the back of the cone.
Less than a minute with a 45dg chamfer bit and router on the rear side of the through hole is all it takes
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:56 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Less than a minute with a 45dg chamfer bit and router on the rear side of the through hole is all it takes
will do that too
anything for music!
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:54 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
will do that too
anything for music!
Hi Soundnovice,
What amp and source (CD player?) are you planning to use? (Apologies if I don't reply until end of next week - I'm in for repairs at the hospital)
Cheers
Mark.
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:20 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Soundnovice,
What amp and source (CD player?) are you planning to use? (Apologies if I don't reply until end of next week - I'm in for repairs at the hospital)
Cheers
Mark.
I have T-amp which gives out clean watts upto 7W or so and another local amp based on classAB which gives out 140W/4 Ohms. source is foobar2000 on laptop->ext.USB soundcard. i also have a miniDAC PCM1793, which can be fed from ext.soundcard or media player thro optical. also have miniDSP but that would be hardly of any use in case of single drivers unless want to EQ.
near future upgrades: jean hiraga 8W classA amp and marantz CD player.

Last edited by soundnovice; 2nd February 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:13 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have T-amp which gives out clean watts upto 7W or so and another local amp based on classAB which gives out 140W/4 Ohms. source is foobar2000 on laptop->ext.USB soundcard. i also have a miniDAC PCM1793, which can be fed from ext.soundcard or media player thro optical. also have miniDSP but that would be hardly of any use in case of single drivers unless want to EQ.
near future upgrades: jean hiraga 8W classA amp and marantz CD player.
Hi S,
Interesting. I think the Hiraga 8W class A will likely be a fine partner for the Alp10's. If like me, you have a decent collection of CD's, or you intend collecting them (Ebay et al), then invest in the best CD player you can afford. I run Accuphase DP65 with the Sony R1 transport and the later DP67. Granted these are expensive players, me having the fortune to be next door to Japan.
Even so there's usually some decent players around, take your time and enjoy building your system. Here's a site I use allot (its Japanese so use a web translator):

オーディオの足跡 −オーディオ機器を新旧・性能を問わず何でも紹介−

Also buy decent inter-connect cables. Exercise caution with you 140W class A/B amp, being more than needed in the power department.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:22 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi S,
Interesting. I think the Hiraga 8W class A will likely be a fine partner for the Alp10's. If like me, you have a decent collection of CD's, or you intend collecting them (Ebay et al), then invest in the best CD player you can afford. I run Accuphase DP65 with the Sony R1 transport and the later DP67. Granted these are expensive players, me having the fortune to be next door to Japan.
Even so there's usually some decent players around, take your time and enjoy building your system. Here's a site I use allot (its Japanese so use a web translator):

オーディオの足跡 −オーディオ機器を新旧・性能を問わず何でも紹介−

Also buy decent inter-connect cables. Exercise caution with you 140W class A/B amp, being more than needed in the power department.

Cheers
Mark.
Thanks Mark for valuable suggestions. I have huge collection of flacs and some CDs. infact i am still under confusion, whether a CD player will be better than a mediaplayer/laptop/pc->soundcard/DAC combo!?
to add more confusion on top of that, recently i auditioned an all analog solution (turntable->2A3 tube amp->Altecs voice of theatre speakers) at my friends place and my whole understanding of audio has changed...

Hide this!Advertise here!