Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st January 2013, 11:25 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Soundnovice,
Please DON'T filter out the bass. Remember you have a single cone driver that emits wide band (both mechanical oscillation and semi-stationary to stationary resonances). Its most important for the cone and power-train to receive full band, at low volumes while running in.

Ideally, drivers are best run-in when mounted in their speaker boxes but I appreciate many Diyers like to break-in the drivers in the pack boxes to save time. This is ok so long as they carefully choose music with modest bass and keep volumes low. Watch out for power-train movements that visually appear to exceed 1mm on the draw stroke (cone moving inwards) during the first 100 hours. Ease back the volume, or change the music if needed.

Cheers
Mark.

glad to have you back at the keyboard Mark
Old 31st January 2013, 11:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
glad to have you back at the keyboard Mark
Thanks Chris,
I'm around until this Sunday (3rd Feb), going into St Pauls hospital that evening. Surgeries on the following 2 days then recovery where I'll no doubt get bored quickly. I'll have my laptop with me and hope to posting again maybe by the end of next week (ish).

Cheers
Mark.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Soundnovice,
Please DON'T filter out the bass. Remember you have a single cone driver that emits wide band (both mechanical oscillation and semi-stationary to stationary resonances). Its most important for the cone and power-train to receive full band, at low volumes while running in.

Ideally, drivers are best run-in when mounted in their speaker boxes but I appreciate many Diyers like to break-in the drivers in the pack boxes to save time. This is ok so long as they carefully choose music with modest bass and keep volumes low. Watch out for power-train movements that visually appear to exceed 1mm on the draw stroke (cone moving inwards) during the first 100 hours. Ease back the volume, or change the music if needed.

Cheers
Mark.
thanks Mark. Its clear to me now
i have already built vented BS boxes so breakin will be done in them.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am glad that Mark has quantified "loud". 1mm. For me, 1mm is normal listing level for an A10.2. Of course, I don't listen to much music that is centered around kick drum, or the super compressed and clipped stuff that is passed of a music these days. I actually wound be listening to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", or some of the other 8 concerti in OP 8, of the other 290 Vivaldi concerti/sonatas that I possess.

Bob
Old 1st February 2013, 01:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I am glad that Mark has quantified "loud". 1mm. For me, 1mm is normal listing level for an A10.2. Of course, I don't listen to much music that is centered around kick drum, or the super compressed and clipped stuff that is passed of a music these days. I actually wound be listening to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", or some of the other 8 concerti in OP 8, of the other 290 Vivaldi concerti/sonatas that I possess.

Bob

I am to the "Big 5" Russians what you are to Vivaldi. That has actually been of some concern in my migration to a true full-range system. Large-scale orchestral pieces are very challenging to even some large multi-driver systems.

I'm quite convinced that a FAST system is the real solution to my listening. I have some very good subs and, if necessary, some articulate 10" woofers to better cover the range between the subs and the A10.2s. My hope is to replace my current LARGE very full-range multi-driver system with a smaller Mark Audio-based FAST system at 1/100 the price.

Currently running a Copland collection CD to start getting some low-level bass into the drivers. About 130 hours of low-level music into the drivers.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
thanks Mark. Its clear to me now
i have already built vented BS boxes so breakin will be done in them.
Glad to help. My advice applies to both drivers being run in "free air - near free air" as well as in box. The main thing to remember is there's less risk of over-pushing the drivers during the run-in period if they're in a loudspeaker box.

Cheers
Mark
Old 1st February 2013, 01:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob
Hi Bob,
Know what you mean. Here's one of my likes (best played in a quiet moment)

Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No.3
Conductor: David Zinman
Performer: Dawn Upshaw
Orchestra: London Sinfonietta
Copyright Nonesuch Records (May 5, 1992)

Fab recording, Dawn Upshaw is pretty much perfect.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Symphony_of_Sorrowful_Songs.jpg (7.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:04 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Dawn Upshaw

Is pretty much perfect. Indeed. Brings to mind a bumper sticker:
Art saves lives. All the ranting in the world comes to nothing when Ms Upshaw sings to us
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

For me, that symphony still seems to sound "the most right" with a Polish symphony.

Hard to listen to this piece without getting a bit emotional.

Quote:
Hi Bob,
Know what you mean. Here's one of my likes (best played in a quiet moment)

Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No.3
Conductor: David Zinman
Performer: Dawn Upshaw
Orchestra: London Sinfonietta
Copyright Nonesuch Records (May 5, 1992)

Fab recording, Dawn Upshaw is pretty much perfect.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I am in the process of breaking in my 10.3m's, just packed into the original cardboard boxes. I have them at a volume which gives no visual evidence of cone movement, playing some Mozart string quartets.

I measure about 67db/1m max at the moment and the listening levels are just a shade below where I would chose to have it anyway.

Because one mans "moderate" is another mans "minuscule", I also would benefit somewhat from a rule of thumb in terms of decibels. If an average of 55/60db @ 1m with occasional 65/70 peaks is safe, then it's simply plug in and go for me, leave the Frank Zappa alone for a few weeks.

I am astonished at how good they sound within cardboard boxes, congratulations Mark and team, I am delighted.

Hide this!Advertise here!