Alpair 7 Maop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mr.Mark,
Please advice how the sound of alpair 7 Maop as I can't see more infos of this one in forum.
Thanks

Mark is currently in hospital being treated for cancer, so he may not be able to reply very quickly. The MAOP units have been mostly sold in Japan; only a handful are outside that nation at the moment, so there are few user reports. If you search the Japanese audio forums, you may find some additional information.

One pair of those arrive casa chrisb this Wednesday - now I just have to muster the courage to man-handle them into an existing pair of stand mount boxes, and fire them up over the weekend. They will of course be stone cold stock, no break-in hours, etc, and my direct reference will be well tempered 7.2s with the full magic polka dot treatment in an entirely different enclosure, so the first couple of hundred hours will be an interesting ride.

See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mark...-gen-maop-prototype-tw-1-a-6.html#post3113637 for my views. These are amongst my favourite wideband drive units, and by far my favourite wideband driver of this size, since it suits what I happen to want from a drive unit of this type / size very well. I am not using them at all at present owing to a lack of space. When I do, they will go into simple sealed boxes.

None of the Alpair 10s work in FH3; they are physically too large to fit, and their Vas mandates a larger enclosure. They should work well in any of the existing designs for the 10.2 though.

Hope that helps
Scott

Initial impressions - MAOP7

Stone cold dead stock in MarKen7T enclosures, driven by 6CA7 SE amp, only about 6 hours playing time today (Sunday)

I might just want to reconsider writing off this little room for moderate listening levels, or forsaking any of my tube amps.

Way to early to seriously assess these, but one thing's for sure - far less hurtful out of the box than a pair of F-ex something or others.

Still a bit closed in terms of soundstage dimension and I'm not riding them hard yet - gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.

Hi Mr.Chrisb & Mr.Dave,
Do you have any new of alpair 7 maod trial?
Thanks

Mr Dave hasn't heard them yet (our locations and schedules conflict with day-time listening), and I've been spending a bit more time with them over the past weekend, but it's too soon to reach a conclusion. - I've made too many snap assessments from initial impressions in the past that I've come to regret.

A quick background is that they followed a pair of bipole EL70 Microtowers that I'd used in an open floor plan room for a couple of years now, so I'm not only listening to the new drivers during their break-in, but also trying to forget what the dispersion pattern and extended LF response of the former enclosure brought to the party.

That last part is much harder than one might imagine.

Neither has the opportunity arisen to directly compare them to stock A7.3 in comparable enclosure, which would be my personal litmus test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.