What amp for Pensil 10.2? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 28th February 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekiller View Post
I have just ordered a DIY Pass Alpeh Mini to work with my Opera T1 pre-amp (modified). What do you think?
Hi D,
Would I be right in understanding the Alpeh Mini is a small Mofset with an output of around 10 watts per channel? If so, might be a bit under-powered for an Alp10. But my knowledge and experience of this amp is extremely limited. Given its a Pass, its circuit design could be very clean and stable such that 10 watts will work on an Alp10.

All the same, I'd suggest allot more research before using this amp on an Alp10.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 28th February 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 08:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Thanks for your advise.

As I am using a 4-Watt 6V6GT SE amp, and, didn't found major power issue, a 10-Watt Class A solid-state SE may worth a try.

Regards, Brian
Old 28th February 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Question Hi dekiller and Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi D,
Would I be right in understanding the Alpeh Mini is a small Mofset with an output of around 10 watts per channel? If so, might be a bit under-powered for an Alp10. But my knowledge and experience of this amp is extremely limited. Given its a Pass, its circuit design could be very clean and stable such that 10 watts will work on an Alp10.

All the same, I'd suggest allot more research before using this amp on an Alp10.

Cheers
Mark
I`m not an expert in these matter - but my personal feeling is that 10watt maybe is enough. I have built a version of the LĀmp - based on the Sony 2SK82 Static Induction Transistor( a kind of SIT-amp that Nelson Pass himself has introduced to the Hi-Fi world and his SIT is 10watt - and capabel to run different loads)
My version is maybe 7-8 watt in class A and I used it earlier to run my fine Alp10.2 - which they for 90 % did very well(except some week recorded Rickie Lee Jones + some).
Today I use them on my newly finisheh Alp12P in a 38 sqmeter room upstairs - and here they give very powerful presence to the sound.
Very rich in sound - and if the Aleph Mini gives the same SPL I believe it should be fair in sound.
But you must decide by yourself - I don`t feel the Alpairs are that powerhungry?

Pics included of my setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0022.jpg (48.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0021.jpg (62.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.jpg (59.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 28th February 2013, 08:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi OlavHaal,

As I listen to music at low volume during all night, SQ is more important to me. Do you think the Mini Aleph would fit my need, or, the 30-Watt Aleph 3 could do better.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Arrow Hi Brian...

As stated earlier - I`m no expert on these matters!

But as Nelson Pass, Michael Rotchaer and others has said earlier: a low wattage classA amplifier with a good powersupply and a good topology - that is working on its higher level(60%-90%) - can do wonder on efficient speakers!
My LĀmp has 2 times = 400watt trafo with 84000 uF capacitors(each channel has this).
And the B1 that I use is functioning most efficient when driven to its nearby max-level(=about 75 %)! All according to Nelson Pass.
And the Alp12P is 93db!
So if the AlephMini has a sufficient PowerSupply and other have good report on it - it can make for a good listening experience.

When I started my building I had doubts about how it would end. But as time went by - and the different items was finished the sound is very good. The only thing is: my wife complains that it can get too sharp and clear - so I have to get some more dampening inside the Alp12P - or get me a tube-buffer maybe?

Best

Olav
Old 5th March 2013, 04:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

My DIY Mini Aleph arrived. It sound nice and having enough power for the Alpair 10.2 in Pencils. Although it sound nice, its different from Tube. Quite a good excuse for me to swap between them.

Hide this!Advertise here!