Health challenge - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st March 2013, 04:55 PM   #161
diyAudio Member

look like for a normal dose of D3 we only need a sun , min 15minute for 4 days a week
Old 31st March 2013, 05:38 PM   #162
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
look like for a normal dose of D3 we only need a sun , min 15minute for 4 days a week
If you lives within +10 / -10 degrees from equator and get the sun on the big surfaces of the body - then you would get 80.000IU pr. week - an average of a good 10.000IU pr. day. To my knowledge the professor (more than 30 years research of vitamin D and cancer) I have contact with uses 3.400IU as the minimum an average person with perfect health needs pr. day.
However if you live within +10 / -10 degrees from equator and have outside activities the body may take up 50.000IU pr. day.

So my own (and many others) experience are that 5.000IU to 10.000IU pr. day are OK for a otherwise healthy person to continue stay healthy, but 30.000IU or more pr. day may be needed if you have any kind of illness or disease to cure.
Old 31st March 2013, 05:53 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

thanks for complete info...
Old 1st April 2013, 01:16 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Dear Mark,

I just stumbled upon, and got caught up on this development! WOW! What a challenge! I really feel for you, and you are definitely in my thoughts now.

My dad (Brent) has actually been an oncologist (biostatistician) at various capacities since the 1970's, and he is pretty well connected in the field if you need any recommendations for doctors or would like to be a part of any clinical trials, though it sounds like you are already very well taken care of in that dept and have already received excellent primary treatment. I am really encouraged by the fact that you are on the wait and on the mend as a potential alternative to chemo.

One form of (now legitimate) treatment that many are still unaware of is immunotherapy, one form of which has fairly recently gone through FDA approval (with the help of my dad, actually).

I am a bit foggy on the details here, however, as I am NOT the cancer researcher in the family, though several of my relatives have been affected by the disease.

One angle on your situation that I feel would be potentially constructive to offer here is a bit of deconstructive advice - being able to sift through the BS of the world of cancer treatment is often just as valuable as having a good doctor in the first place. It seems that in the medical community, and it seems especially in the field of cancer, an unbiased, honest, simple, curated, personal, and "middle of the road" opinion can be the hardest kind to find of all.

I do not claim to be able to offer much of it, nor do I claim that my dad, the skeptical scientist would agree with much of any of my own advice, but basically, I would say to avoid extremes - of things that may hurt or help - and also to begin to genuinely lower your stress levels throughout the day.

Lowering stress in one's life is not something that happens over night.

I have been in the speaker biz and even dabbled a bit in driver making for a while myself now and found myself caught up in the "rat race" aspect of it before I even knew what happened. Now granted, I truly stand behind the intentions I put into the things I make, and I really believe in the great cause of proliferating beauty in the world... but by ignoring my body's and mind's more basic needs, my health declined steadily over the years of running a business and I actually got to the point that I was having severe and unpredictable yo-yo's in energy levels that got worse for several years before I began a genuine investigation of what might be wrong with me. It turned out that I had a very severe gut infection that was likely in place for 5 years before it got worse to the point that I really could no longer ignore my biological realities with my modern tools of "being a man" about it.

It is frankly embarrasing for me to admit how bad my health (and my mindset about it) got before I went to the doctor. It was treated this January with a simple, powerful course of antibiotics (followed by probiotics). That sure wiped my slate clean, but the thing I am most proud of is that just prior to that medical treatment, I had started to (and still continue to) slowly decide to change my mind about how precious my health is to me every day since.

Now in comparison to cancer, I don't have anything on your situation, but lets not beat around the bush here - there are parallels. The audio industry is in practice all too often a brutal, high paced, and extremely competitive industry - though not surprising so - such a competitive air is in keeping with many other fields in the technology sector.

The primary source of stress I see is that everyone seems to be out looking for another man's lunch, rather than simply trying to farm more customers from the ranks of the as yet uneducated. furthermore, it seems that imitation is the rule rather than the exception. This just puts people on edge in general.

But the benefit in your case is that you have set yourself so far apart from the majority of driver makers by your current work that you should will stand alone within your price range for some time, and it will only take a slow and steady marketing angle to gain greater acceptance and use of your drivers. I've heard several of your models by now, and they sound great!

So my point is that even if your personal RnD has to slow down a bit because of the time needed for you to heal, and even if healing for you in your case means just slowing down for a few hours each day to just stare at the wall and not think very much (unstructured meditation), or to lightly excersize, or whatever, then so be it - I still think you are a great guy even if you must become a bit more lazy (or whatever mindset that it could be that would be the most beneficial for you to adopt).

The problem with cancer treatment (IMO) is that so often it can become about a sort of hypervigilance and continual search "a never ending quest(!)" for "the cure(!)" that we very often forget about one of the primary causes - a too fast paced way of looking at things.

There is also a hypervigilance that can revolve around the notion of "thinking positive" - to the exclusion of all else - to the point that any negativity is so shunned that it is tainted with an even greater sense of guilt than it should be given - and thereby does more damage.

A tree that bends in the storm, can still straighten in the sun.

Another analogy I can think of is a musical one. a piece of music that has "space" between the notes can have this indescribable draw to the listener. So similarly, ought we compose our lives?

To slow down your mind, be quiet and soft, calculatedly ignorant instead of informed, and a bit careless about things that are not an absolute priority is paradoxically something that is actually a skill. Though this slowness and deliberateness can often viewed as a weakness in our fast paced world of business.

But I'd pose the question - ought we all ask ourselves what we are really in the business of? What is the purpose of fine home audio reproduction in the first place? - to relax and enjoy the peace and comfort and warmth of our homes and to help others to do so.

Over the years, I have discovered that there are many cancer patients and people with disabilities, PTSD, and etc. in the ranks of my customers/friends. Music therapy is a wonderful and drugless form of cancer treatment - transmitted by the same clean air that we breath in those hours of beautiful music - and yet still many of us in the industry can become cursed slightly when our own stress relief treatment turns against us by becoming our lifes "work" rather than our life's "passion."

And I even think that the word "passion" is way too overused these days. What's so wrong with thinking of music/audio as just a way to chill the hell out and unplug at the end of each day?

I hope what I am saying here is not too controversial or insensitive. I don't want to come across as someone who is just telling you to "take a chill pill" - because I do not know you very well yet and it would not be my place to say so without knowing you well enough as a friend to say that "to chill" is what needs to be done in your case.

If I were to summarise this entire essay into a sentence, I would say that I am merely challenging you in the most compassionate way that I know to search for your "complimentary color" - the side OPPOSITE to the lobe in the wheel that constitutes the dominant part of your personality. I really believe that by calmly taking accountability for, working on, and working with our weaknesses in concert with our strengths, that we can get the furthest along on our way.

Sincerely, And I wish you the very best health and give you my deep respect and positive energies.

Clark Blumenstein
Old 1st April 2013, 02:19 AM   #165
diyAudio Member

Hello Clark, (Guys),
I much appreciate the effort put into the last 2 posts and indeed all the posts. Makes me more determined to push on with my life and design/make more drivers!!!! I love doing this work, its more than a job, profession or business, its my passion!

Today (April 1st - no April fool alas) is 8 weeks and 1 day since I was released from hospital following the last and largest of 3 surgeries. I feel OK, still some pain but its receding. I remain short on energy, still weighing a lick under 70Kg (154Lbs) loosing 8Kg during the latter half of January, but now eating quite well. My stomach feels like a tumble dryer some days but these are small complaints considering the critical state of my health last mid January.

On the credit side, I've a fab Body Mass Index (BMI) of 20.9. My total fat ratio is only 20%, my latest technology Japanese weighing scales calculating all this info. This charming device is telling me I've got a "body physical age" of 42! Given that I'm 55, this piece of info flashing up on its bright LCD screen was a real moral booster! Having said that, I settled down to reality, talked to my technology resplendent Japanese scales, explaining that it forgot to factor in recent events, bless it!

My instinct is still that of Derek (reference Alpha Romeo - post No 146), but I am now finally learning to relax more. I've eased back on the fitness program as its was too much too soon. I'm still doing 20 to 30 mins a day of up-hill walks with the mutts, some gentle jogging added, will hopefully resume swimming next week.

The fitness slow-down has allowed me to divert energy and effort into drivers. Evan and me have been burning allot of SKYPE time sorting prototype Alpair 10's (metal and paper) + Alpair 8 frame development. So I'm still at it, all be it factory remote.

I'm on the Vits, making my own 100% organic wholemeal bread, eating no meat, staying on fish, eggs, cheese (protein) fresh fruit, fresh veggies. I'm trying to increase my sleep time to around 8 hours per night. Finding this really difficult as I used to sleep only around 5 to 6 hours. Sleeping is sooooo borrrring! Last night I woke at 3am with a natty idea to reduce the Alp10 metal cone coil body to <0.05mm by a re-wrap of the bobbing former on the winding machine. Going to try melatonin tablets. Anyone tried this stuff as a sleep aid?

Somehow I've got to continue to take-in the fantastic advice given by so many members on this thread, marvellous and much welcomed!

Cheers
Mark.

PS - I've just been told that 42 is a wonderful number. Its the answer to "life, the universe and everything":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_...thing_.2842.29

Deep Thought (I want one of these!!!!)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Th...)#Deep_Thought

Last edited by markaudio; 1st April 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 1st April 2013, 03:09 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Going to try melatonin tablets. Anyone tried this suff as a sleep aid?
I have been using melatonin and GABA for years. They help relieve the stressors of life as an older design engineer in a young man's world so I can sleep at night. That combination doesn't knock you out like the prescription stuff my (pill pushing) doctor gave me, but it doesn't make me stupid the next day like the doctors pills did. The typical dose for melatonin is 1 to 3 mg. Start with 1. GABA 750 mg.

I have been dealing with persistent recurring skin cancers (several kinds) for about 20 years now, since I have lived 60 years in the tropical Florida sun, most of it outdoors. Several friends and relatives have died from Melanoma which is about the only skin cancer that I haven't dealt with yet.

Because of this history, I have spent a lot of time researching skin cancers and specifically melanoma. As you have seen and others have also touched on, the cancer patient's outcome is dependent on a lot of variables. Attitude, stress level, DIET, and treatment plan are all important. Vitamin D was mentioned, it is important, and many people are defficient without symptoms. A simple blood test can check your levels.

Melanoma, specifically and probably many other cancers, are diet dependent. Cancer is a fast growing mass capable of tapping into the body's blood supply and even generating new blood vessel growth. It is a machine that needs to be fed. Melanoma's food of choice is sugar, and it can manipulate insulin levels to get what it needs. Most melanoma patients become diabetic in stage 4. The story here it to cut off the food supply. NO refined sugars, avoid starchy foods, and most processed junk food. These feed the machine. Recent studies have shown great benefit in removing these foods. It sounds like you are doing well in this respect.

Exercise is good, but too much can be as bad as none at all. Worse, too much exercise can reduce the effectiveness of your immune system. Everyone is different, and we change as we age. I could bench press 350 pounds when I was 50 years old, Now only 275. Accept what you have left and work within your new limits. They will continue to change, and probably for the better.

Someone mentioned immumotherapy. That is where I am now. The chemo that I have been using for years, no longer works. There is a relatively new "immune response modifier" drug, imiquimod, that costs $1000 for a small bottle. It is to be used for 4 to 6 weeks, I started 9 days ago, and I now have bleeding scars all over my face. This is my immune system attacking the cancer cells. It looks gross, and doesn't feel too good either.

Find ways to be happy....this is important. If making speakers works for you, then do it. Good luck with it all.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:18 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Default Update and plans for the future

Hello Chaps,
I've kept folks informed of my progress on some threads but perhaps best to give you all an update here:

I've just had some minor surgery and a full 6 month checkup following the removal of a tumour in my colon last Feb. The good news is that there's no additional recurrence of the cancer in my colon. The tricky bit is the risk of relapse (cancer spreading to other parts). Statistically, as of today, I have a 50/50 chance of being alive in 5 years time. No point ducking the issue, its something I'm gradually learning to live with. I'm doing all I can to improve these odds by keeping fit and eating lots of veggies!

So here's what I've come up with so far on the advice of the doc's, the insurance guys, my golf coach and good friends, many of which are members of Diyaudio. Live in the moment, plan for the worst:

1 - Re the factory side: Evan Yu is a fab guy. His knowledge is growing as I impart more of my design and mechanical application experience to him. He's a young 39 years old, so lots of time in front of him. Evan will manage the factory operation. Kita Gowa San and Norio Nakajima san will act in support of the business, taking over more of my functions if it becomes necessary. Eric Ng is my loyal business partner, so he will co-ordinate operational transfers of the business.

2 - Product development, given that I don't intend to kiel over so soon, here's a list of driver designs that I'd like to do if your all in favour.

1 - Alpair 8.
2 - A medium sise woof, possibly based on using the Alpair 12 frame.
4 - A larger size low mass woof >8"
4 - Tweak the Alpair 12P (can't resist tweaking).

Please feel free to add to this list and/or expand on the suggestions I've made. How much of this I can get done is in the hands of mother nature.

3 - Re the consumer/user side of Markaudio, I'm open to suggestions as to how this could be carried forward should I not be able to continue. The Markaudio section has grown allot so how to support it? Possibly with key trusted members taking on some of the facilitation?

Apologies that I have to air my situation, but practicality of life demands we go through these processes. My wish is Markaudio drivers can continue to be enjoyed, their design/application be steered/influenced by users/members for many years to come, regardless of my situation.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 18th July 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:26 PM   #168
golfnut is offline golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark

5 Play more golf

best wishes
Rod
Old 18th July 2013, 09:36 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Hi Mark

5 Play more golf

best wishes
Rod
For sure
Old 18th July 2013, 10:44 PM   #170
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow -

I trust I speak for many in saying that from the very beginning your participation in these forum has been a very special gift to us all. That at this juncture you continue to solicit suggestions on new product development, as well as open the conversation regarding succession plan should give each of us a pause to reflect on whether we could exhibit such grace.
It's no surprise that you've attracted not only a wide following of DIYers but the great support staff you named.

As for product refinements - I think your short list above would cover most folks' reasonable wish list

I'd like to add one more:

travel - our west coast is quite nice, you know

Hide this!Advertise here!