subwoofer augmentation for alpair 10.2 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th April 2013, 05:13 AM   #31
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglears View Post
The other question I have is would a SET 2A3 amp play the 10.2's louder if the CSS SDX10 had a low pass filter to take the weight off down below?
You'd need to high pass the 2A3 for that Kind of gain

dave
Old 17th April 2013, 05:49 PM   #32
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm wondering if the CSS XD10 would be a worthwhile addition to the 10.2's in a Pensil or not. They have such amazing quick defined bass with an overall coherency from top to bottom that I could see a sub actually detracting from the whole experience and not adding to it as I have heard in other peoples systems where the woofers can't keep up and have phase issues, room problems etc and just sound overall off. It seems like adding bass is an art in itself that can take a few doodads to make it work.
Yup, that's the dilemma presented by well executed wide-band driver such as the 10s or 7.3s . I'm currently running 2 systems with all 7s, (including one pair of the MAOPs), and in the HT system I consider the rather exaggerated tonal balance and image tracking of most sound tracks to render seamless neutrality moot.

How many "perfectly balanced" home theatre systems have most of us had an opportunity with which to "calibrate" our aural matrix? Any retail showroom I've experienced are tweaked to knock your socks off , and I've famously complained about the current "state of the art" of "THX / etc" certified cinema systems. After playing around with a few configurations over the years, I found that multiple separate enclosures (2 in my case) consisting of relatively small diameter woofers (6-8") with smooth response extending several octaves above the nominal XO point seem to provide the cleanest transition. I can live without the gut-wrenching explosions and car / plane / alien space ship crashes - if the story doesn't work without sledgehammering you into your seat with sound, something's much more wrong than your audio rig.

rant off

For 2 channel audio only, yes it can be a bit more challenging - are there constraints to size / number of woofers? The SDX10 are great drivers, but not tiny

Quote:

The other question I have is would a SET 2A3 amp play the 10.2's louder if the CSS SDX10 had a low pass filter to take the weight off down below?
as Dave said above
Old 17th April 2013, 06:38 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

"For 2 channel audio only, yes it can be a bit more challenging - are there constraints to size / number of woofers? The SDX10 are great drivers, but not tiny"

I'm looking at 2 channel audio. Perhaps a smaller woofer than the SDX10 is a better solution? Any suggestions?
Old 18th April 2013, 03:03 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

HiVi M6n, Dayton RS180, most of the Peerless 6 1/2, Fountek FW168 can all get into the 30's w/ reasonably sized boxes. Since you will be going w/ a wide range driver, the metal cone breakup should be well down. You should be able to cross at 200 - 400 easy w/ any of these drivers.

I have personal experience with all of these (not all Peerless 6 1/2 obviously).

Quote:
"For 2 channel audio only, yes it can be a bit more challenging - are there constraints to size / number of woofers? The SDX10 are great drivers, but not tiny"

I'm looking at 2 channel audio. Perhaps a smaller woofer than the SDX10 is a better solution? Any suggestions?
Old 18th April 2013, 05:05 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

If I might make a suggestion, maybe determine the actually response range of the full-range driver in its enclosure under consideration, then just add a sub below that point. That way, the driver will deliver its full performance and the sub will enhance the bottom.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:05 PM   #36
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
If I might make a suggestion, maybe determine the actually response range of the full-range driver in its enclosure under consideration, then just add a sub below that point. That way, the driver will deliver its full performance and the sub will enhance the bottom.
OTOH, don't overlook the huge benefits to be achieved in reduction of excursion related distortion in the midrange and attainable SPLs by even a simple 1st order HP on the wide-band driver, if even for only the bottom octave or 2.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:57 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
OTOH, don't overlook the huge benefits to be achieved in reduction of excursion related distortion in the midrange and attainable SPLs by even a simple 1st order HP on the wide-band driver, if even for only the bottom octave or 2.
That's actually my plan. But some may want a simple way out and just a sub below the bottom of their full range driver.
Old 19th April 2013, 01:53 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
also i guess matching a sub at higher xover point is easier than matching it at lower one. right?
Old 19th April 2013, 03:04 AM   #39
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm... It seems to me that part of the beauty of a full range driver is that it can cover the full range of the human voice. Crossing in a sub to high is going to muck that up. Probably for any driver combination there is a "sweet spot" but for me anyway I'd be looking for that sweet spot somewhere in the octave of 70 -140Hz, and choose my drivers and enclosures accordingly. Of course the slopes would extend the drivers on either end. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 19th April 2013, 01:51 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
also i guess matching a sub at higher xover point is easier than matching it at lower one. right?
Not necessarily and not in my experience. For me it has been easier to blend a sub near the point where the other speaker rolls off. But that's just my experience, YMMV.

Hide this!Advertise here!