erich hartmann alpair 10.2 bookshelf speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 12th March 2013, 02:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

REAL funny. Real men love their honey. Do. Don't do. Repeat.
Old 12th March 2013, 05:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I couldn't agree more - while few of us have had the opportunity to compare every possible permutation, I've experienced the larger MA drivers enough to say that with all due respect to the numerous designers of compact / bookshelf enclosures for the 10.2 (and for that matter 12P), these drivers truly blossom in a "full size" enclosure such as Pensil, M10A10, Silbury, etc.

Of course on those rare occasions when domestic concerns interfere with optimal enclosure design / placement ....

ya see, that's funny because .... well you know
pencils are not big and not small. just of the size that my room can take without complaining (in other words...allowed WAF! )
Old 12th March 2013, 08:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I'm using Erich's box design upstairs with MAOP 10 drivers. They are OK, bass is a little tight, the vent needs to be a little bigger but no time to re-calculate/re-make.

As per others comments, to get the best from the Alpairs, use a bigger box (Pensil et al.)

Cheers
Mark.
Old 13th March 2013, 05:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

do pencils increase SPL? i see similar MLTL by Bob (M10-A10) mentioned SPL to be 90dB which is 3dB more than the driver spec.
Old 18th March 2013, 09:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

today stuffed the boxes with 1" thick glasswool. not sure if this is too much but thats what i have at hand. there is considerable improvement compared to 1" think egg foam. glasswool does the job better!
i used 19AWG OFC wire for internal wiring and also for amp connection. is there any advantage going for lower AWG wire in this case?
Old 18th March 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
do pencils increase SPL? i see similar MLTL by Bob (M10-A10) mentioned SPL to be 90dB which is 3dB more than the driver spec.
Only in their operating band, at the bottom of the frequency range. It depends on how you measure them TBH. And the MA units are a little unusual compared to some others in that they're usually somewhat easier to drive than the bald figures might imply.

19ga should be more than sufficient for internal wiring by the way. As for fiberglass, I'm not surprised -acoustic foam (egg crate foam / whatever you like to call it) is rubbish as far as I'm concerned. One point though: you might want to get some muslin or similar stretched behind the driver to prevent fibers getting into it.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:18 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Only in their operating band, at the bottom of the frequency range. It depends on how you measure them TBH. And the MA units are a little unusual compared to some others in that they're usually somewhat easier to drive than the bald figures might imply.

19ga should be more than sufficient for internal wiring by the way. As for fiberglass, I'm not surprised -acoustic foam (egg crate foam / whatever you like to call it) is rubbish as far as I'm concerned. One point though: you might want to get some muslin or similar stretched behind the driver to prevent fibers getting into it.
thanks for muslin tip. despite of careful cnc cut baffle hole/flush mounting, still i feel there is edge discontinuity, so thinking to glue felt ring around the periphery of bezel edge. will this actually work?
Old 18th March 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
One point though: you might want to get some muslin or similar stretched behind the driver to prevent fibers getting into it.
Pantyhose works very good and is pretty much acoustically transparent.

Hide this!Advertise here!