Alpair 7.3 plastic ring cracked. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 17th January 2013, 02:58 AM   #1
bqc is offline bqc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7.3 plastic ring cracked.

So I was tightening down the supplied screws and one of them cause the ring to crack as shown in the picture. Does that happen often? Should I not have use the supplied screws? It seems that the screw heads were a bit larger than the hole or something because it cracks even before the driver is completely mounted firm against the baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130116_184628.jpg (825.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 17th January 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqc View Post
So I was tightening down the supplied screws and one of them cause the ring to crack as shown in the picture. Does that happen often? Should I not have use the supplied screws? It seems that the screw heads were a bit larger than the hole or something because it cracks even before the driver is completely mounted firm against the baffle.
Hi bgc,
The screws we supply are custom made, with smaller heads than the frame hole recesses. We only make and supply 1 size of screw for the Alpair 7.

From your description of events and looking at the pic, the screws weren't properly centred within the frame plus heavy over-tightening caused the failures. With pressed steel and composite frames, care must be taken to properly align the the mounting holes; And gentle tightening is all thats required.

I suggest carefully undo the drivers, get some suitable A/B bond or super-glue and apply it to the cracks. Assuming you've kept the front covers, bond them on for added strength.

Then carefully double check the screw hole alignments. Make sure their centred to the holes in the driver's frame. Drill small 2mm pilot holes in the box should you wish to turn the drivers to make new mounting on the box. Place the driver in position and use a 4-mm drill or punch bit inside the frame holes to mark the pilot hole positions.

Don't murder the screws when tightening down on to the frame. Be gentle and use a hand tool for this process. You'll get to feel when the screws is taken the frame tight on the baffle.

Make 100% sure your baffle mounting surface if flat.

With luck, you'll save the drivers and live to play another day.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 17th January 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!