Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th January 2013, 02:33 AM   #21
SirByrd is offline SirByrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark
I don't know of any manufacturer who directly responds to their client base on such an even level.
I don't know how you do it, but keep up the good work!

-Will
Old 18th January 2013, 02:41 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Have those knuckle draggers evolved up to the level of a baboon?
Old 18th January 2013, 03:29 AM   #23
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

A very elegant and creative solution!

Since I'm the chump that put all the blood, sweat and tears (and money!) into building speakers--us types tend to pay attention to such minor things like clipping, voice coils bouncing off magnets, not running the 1812 Overture with cannon shots and twisting the volume knob until it stops turning.

Alas, my world does not allow for fully armed guards to protect my speakers. My wife, family, visitors and friends out number me so protection is a must. The garage speakers are protected by limiters and the HT system is very loud and scares folks with all the buttons and controls

My plan is a desktop near field system with a Topping Class D amp. Not a ton of power but an Alpair 10 could get blown by playing "Bass I love you" at clipping. The limit function that has been added calms my "paranoid with wisdom" life experiences with smaller nearfield desktop speakers.

Accidents happen and it is good to know the speaker design takes that into account. My wife listens to Enya on occasion and there is a few notes that go down to 23 Hz. She don't blast music normally but 23Hz can create serious mayhem to a 12" woofer let alone a 5 inch full range.

Now I can throw a high pass cap at 40Hz on an Alp10 and not fear that space music my wife plays.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:11 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

[Mark: have you considered a grill for your drivers, something similar to Accuton drivers.. It would help protect the delicate cones from curious little fingers, and other mishaps... ]

I just want to second on the grill. A lot of us (I hope !) have kids, cats, etc. and for me, a physical injury on the driver is my worst fear (I mean considering my speakers !). Then, we have to buy one or two replacement units of maybe of a different version, have to break in again. The grill could be just an optional add-on like the nice front cover we have with the Alpair 7.
Old 19th January 2013, 05:22 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I agree with the grill idea. Though I have found the machete and .44 mag method of equipment protection is usually adequate, it often causes prolonged ringing in my ears and cleanup can be disruptive to a laid back listening session.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:22 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mark, et al re grilles - if builders were to leave a 1mm reveal gap when rebating for flush mounting (which could be painted black to blend with driver flange) , a simple plastic flange with metal mesh grille and magnets embedded to align with mounting screws might be all that's necessary.

Of course for folks that insist on using other than the supplied hex head screws (and they know who they are), this probably wouldn't work so well.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:46 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Of course for folks that insist on using other than the supplied hex head screws (and they know who they are), this probably wouldn't work so well.
I don't like grills anyway

dave
Old 20th January 2013, 12:06 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

We don't all have the flow of newer better drivers that you do Dave.
Old 20th January 2013, 01:39 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I still only get to sample a fraction, and nothing too expensive (well i did get to try some Feastrex).

dave
Old 20th January 2013, 02:14 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yeah, and that went well didn't it.

Hide this!Advertise here!